ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

9 Summer Must-Haves That’ll Make Your Beach Vacay Even Better

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Up your game this summer with a brand-new float or vacuum insulated wine cup. (Yes, I wrote “cup” because it’s not really a glass.) 

Channel your inner Kim K. and rep The New School on a giant narwhal float.

Who wouldn’t want to spend their summer floating around on an enormous narwhal?

If the thought of straddling a narwhal makes you uncomfortable, Kololo also sells a variety of donut-shaped floats (you know, like the ones you had when you were a kid) and, of course, the Insta-famous unicorn-shaped float. And unlike most inflatable animal salespeople, Kololo has a purpose behind its brand — to save the elephants.

“We are supporting Elephant Nature Park in Chiang Mai, Thailand, an elephant sanctuary devoted to saving enslaved and distressed Asian Elephants that have been abused, disabled by hazardous labor, or orphaned by poachers,” the Kololo website reads. “With less than 50,000 Asian Elephants left in this world today, conservation of these magnificent animals becomes even more crucial.”

Literally, create a chair out of thin air.

Lounge whenever you want, wherever you want.

The QuikFill AirChair is perfect for concerts, camping, and lazy beach days. All you have to do is take it out, shake, twirl, and relax! There’s also a super convenient pouch for your phone, keys, and a drink.

Keep your lunch (and drinks) cold AF.

Sure, hanging out on the beach is fun, but what’s a beach day without food and drinks?

This easy-to-store (it’s small enough to fit underneath the seat) SnapBasket Cooler is soft-sided and leak-proof. There’s also a handy built-in bottle opener for your harder-to-open beverages. (Plus, it can keep iced drinks cold for up to 36 hours.)

Up your wine game.

Speaking of keeping things cold… Swig is the only cup you’ll need all summer long. It’s vacuum insulated, can keep your juice cold for up to nine hours, and holds a solid 12 oz.

Give yourself the ultimate (crystal) energy boost.

Not into the wine scene? That’s totally fine.

Get hydrated and energized with Glacce — a crystal elixir water bottle. Choose from Clear Quarts, Rose Quarts, Smoky Quarts, Amethyst, or Black Obsidian. (I chose the Amethyst — it was my late grandmother’s favorite color.)

Take your picnic to the sea (or the lake).

If you’re into kayaking, then you’re going to love this.

The CreekKooler is an insulated cooler that’s built to float behind your kayak, canoe, or raft. It can hold up to 20 pounds of ice, several 12 oz. cans, and your lunch. And if you’re feeling a little extra, there’s a mini flag holder on the side.

Fill your cooler with dank snacks.

Summer is sticky, hot, and can make you feel a little bit drowsy — especially if you’re walking around on a full stomach of pasta or hamburgers.

Pack some light snacks, like CLIO Greek Yogurt Bars (they’re basically small, bite-sized pieces of ice cream). Choose from six delicious and nutritious (wouldn’t mom be proud?) flavors, including Strawberry, Vanilla, Honey, Hazelnut, Blueberry, and Espresso.

Read a book, or three.

It’s hard to read the books you’ll really enjoy while you’re in school.

Use your newfound free time to catch up on a few interesting reads, like “All the Women in My Family Sing” — a book filled with powerful essays on equality, justice, and freedom (all of which were written by inspiring women!) Can’t decide on just one book? Check out Once Upon a Book Club — it’s a subscription service for bookworms that includes three to five cute gifts (each wrapped and decorated with a front-facing page number) that are curated to enhance the book.

Dress up and go out!

Sometimes, the best part about going to the beach is when you finally get home and take that much-needed shower, dry off, and hop into a flowy dress.

I mean, is there anything better than sun-kissed skin in a whimsical (and def. summery) dress? Didn’t think so. If you’re struggling to find the perfect outfit, try looking through Speechless’ website. It’s full of flowy ensembles. My personal favorite is the Tropical Days Walkthru (I’m short, but it fits me like a dream!)

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.
If you're interested HCTNS, please e-mail us at hc.newschool@hercampus.com