This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

It’s officially springtime, and what’s a better way to discover the beauty of New York City parks than being within walking distance of them? Whether you’re taking a break between classes, hanging out with friends, or immersing yourself in city life, here are five parks within walking distance of The New School Campus.

Washington square park

@wspconservancy via Instagram

Right down the street from The New School University Center, Washington Square Park is a great hangout spot for students, locals, and visitors. Not only is this park great for people-watching, but it also hosts a variety of food carts, handmade clothing, musicians, performers, and artists! Grab some food with friends and enjoy the vibes of this lively area.

Union Square Park

@unionsquareny via Instagram

Home to the third largest subway station in New York City, and the hub for our New School commuters is Union Square Park. This is the ideal place to go between classes. Take in the sights, and don’t forget to browse the year-round farmer’s market with your friends!

stuyvesant square park

@nycitybelike via Instagram

About a ten-minute walk from The New School University Center and steps away from 301 Residence and Stuyvesant Residence Hall is Stuyvesant Square Park. This park makes a great place to sit, do homework with friends at the signature picnic tables, and watch their friendly neighborhood dog run!

tompkins square park

@evgrieve via Instagram

Located in the Alphabet City portion of the East Village, Tompkins Square Park is spacious, has good lawns for picnicking with friends, multiple playgrounds, basketball courts, a dog park, and public bathrooms.

christopher park

@greenwichvillagenyc via Instagram

Just an eight-minute walk from the Mannes School of Music is Christopher Park. Located just across from the Stonewall Inn, this park has been at the center of LGBTQ+ rights movements since 1969. The park is relaxing to sit at, and an important historical sight that commemorates the Stonewall uprising of 1969. When it’s nice out, and you want to immerse yourself in Greenwich Village history, this is the place to be.

Kayley Cassidy

New School '25

Kayley is a student at The New School in a Bachelor's-Master's Program majoring in Journalism+Design and pursuing a graduate study of Creative Publishing+Critical Journalism. She enjoys listening to podcasts, drinking coffee, and learning about art. In her spare time, you can find her at Sutton Place Park taking pictures of the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge and the East River. Check out her Substack newsletter: https://kaycass.substack.com/?r=5bpjp&utm_campaign=pub&utm_medium=web