10 New York Breakfasts You’ll Want to Wake Up For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Whether you’re a breakfast die-hard or you spend your mornings scarfing a bagel on the subway, there’s one thing we can all agree on – breakfast is delicious, especially if you have the time to sit down and enjoy it.

Spoon

Just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the Flatiron building, hidden on 20th Street, sits a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant called Spoon. From chocolate croissants, to ham, egg & cheese breakfast burritos, Spoon offers the best selection of cheap, satisfying, and fast breakfast fare.

Buvette Gastrotheque

Each day from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m., West Village’s French bistro Buvette serves the breakfast, lunch, and dinner dishes of your dreams. Espresso-steamed eggs topped with prosciutto, buttery croissants, and fluffy Belgian waffles draped with syrup and fresh berries – count me in!

A post shared by BuvetteNYC (@buvettenyc) on

Clinton Street Baking Co.

Clinton Street Baking Co. is inarguably one of the best breakfast spots in the city. Known for its light-as-air pancakes, homemade maple butter, notoriously long wait time, and separate webpage to match, it’s no wonder customers are lined up by 8:30 a.m. just to snag a spot.

Egg

This Brooklyn breakfast nook is as sweet and simplistic as its name implies. From homemade buttermilk biscuits swimming in a delicious pork sausage gravy to the southern breakfast staple grits and eggs, Egg is sure to satisfy even the pickiest eater.

Who would have thought I could get a country biscuit in Williamsburg? @eggrestaurant.

A post shared by Tabitha Shiflett (@tabithainthecity) on

Spreads

If you like your breakfast sans frills, then Spreads is the place for you. Spreads offers a wide selection of breakfast sandwiches and (you guessed it) spreads, such as pimento cheese, cream cheese, and hummus all under $8.

NoMad Hotel

You know those mornings when you just wake up feeling #BOSS AF? For those rare and empowering days you’re going to need more than an afternoon pick-me-up sandwich stop. The NoMad serves an exquisite, short list of breakfast delights including maple-glazed French toast topped with banana slices and walnuts and smoked salmon served with capers, radishes, cucumbers and toast.

La Bonbonniere

From its cameo on Californication to its love-letter-worthy banana pancakes, La Bonbonniere is by far one of the coolest diners in Greenwich Village. Stop by for a mile-high stack of pancakes or a triple-decker sandwich.

Penelope

Located on the corner of Lexington and 30th Street, Penelope offers customers nothing but the best. Penelope keeps the menu classic and seasonal – which means there will be “Punkin’ Waffles” served with cranberries and baked cinnamon apples as soon as that first leaf falls.

Veselka

Since 1945, Veselka (meaning rainbow in Ukrainian) has been serving up traditional Ukrainian food in the heart of the East Village. At Veslka, you can find just about anything, from pierogi, to borscht, to goulash, and of course, the traditional side of eggs.  

Great Jones Café

In the mood for a southern-style breakfast with a western flare? Then head over to Great Jones Café where the jukebox is always playing and the cheddar grits are hot.

Tabitha Britt

New School '18

Tabitha Britt (formerly Tabitha Shiflett) was the Editor-in-Chief and Co-Correspondent of Her Campus at The New School between August 2016 - January 2018. Tabitha graduated from The New School of Social Research on January 31, 2018. She's also a graduate of the Dub (The University of North Carolina Wilmington, UNCW) where she held the position of Managing Editor for the UNCW HC team. You can find her byline in a variety of publications including CBS Local, Taste of Home, Luna Luna, Thought Catalog, and Elite Daily. See more at www.tabithashiflett.com.