This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New School chapter.

Halloween is around the corner and for those who celebrate, watching horror films during the last week of October is a common tradition. People have a hard time curating their horror movie list and for a few, they gravitate towards queer representation in media. A new wave of queer horror films is rising to the forefront of our generation, doing a phenomenal job at erasing heteronormative tropes while scaring the hell out of viewers. If you are frantically looking for a fulfilling horror film that speaks to you, here is a rundown of queer horror cinema that should be on your watchlist for this week. 

1. Bodies Bodies Bodies (2022) 

Bodies Bodies Bodies is a satirical slasher film surrounding two queer protagonists, Sophie and Bee, stuck at a remote mansion with their rich, entitled friends amidst a hurricane. A party game goes off the rails and they’re dealt with a whodunnit game mixed with betrayal and backstabbing — literally. If you’re looking for a break from all the jumpscares and iconic quotes said by Rachel Sennott who plays Alice, this film is right up your alley. 

1. The Craft (1996)

This movie is centered around a coven of four teen witches who grow up feeling like social outcasts, isolated from the rest.  They converge together to discover their supernatural powers in order to practice revenge on the ones who wronged them in the past. Although The Craft doesn’t portray openly queer characters, members of the LGBTQ+ community find relatability within the queer undertones of searching for an identity and trying to assimilate. 

1. Jennifer’s Body (2009) 

If you’re looking for a coming-of-age movie about a “cannibalistic lesbian cheerleader,” as expressed by Megan Fox herself, Jennifer’s Body is the top contender on your list. Jennifer is a high school cheerleader who is possessed by a man-eating demon that preys on male victims to quench her thirst and strengthen her powers. She is unafraid to show her true sexuality and expresses her true feelings for her best friend Needy before things go too far. 

1. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975) 

Of course, I had to include this timeless horror classic in this compiled list or else I was doing it all wrong. The Rocky Horror Picture Show was a pivotal film due to its embrace of sexual freedom and gender transgression — themes that were societally shunned during its time. Dr. Frank-N-Furter, who is a mad cross-dressing pansexual alien scientist, sent audiences into a dilemma of either questioning their sexualities or accepting their identities.

1. Always Shine (2016) 

If you’re a fan of women on the verge of a mental breakdown but through a horror lens, Always Shine should go right at the top of your watchlist. This horror-thriller film encapsulates the story of two friends whose personalities clash on a trip to Big Sur. Jealous feelings and old resentments are revealed as they embark on a journey that changes the trajectory of their lives. 

1. Daughters of Darkness (1971) 

Daughters of Darkness is a calling to vampire lovers who seek an erotic Euro-horror tale. A newlywed couple begins their honeymoon trip until their paths cross with an immortal blood-sucking lesbian countess, Bathory, with her assistant, Illona. The couple both fall for the duo’s seductive charms and are confronted with their own darkest secrets that shift their marriage. 

1. May (2002)

For you psychological horror film fanatics, May should fit right into your binge-watching Halloween session. This film follows May, an antisocial veterinary technician who struggles with isolation and her constant need to connect with people around her. She is friends with her co-worker Polly who teaches May how to accept herself but also attempts to romantically pursue her. And yes, there is some lesbian vampire action in this film. 

1. Thelma (2017) 

Thelma is an ominous thriller centered around the life of an introverted college student who experiences random seizures that lead to her supernatural forces. When she falls for her best friend Anja, her life goes haywire as she grapples with complications in her romantic life. This is sort of like Carrie (1976) but in a gay version and we are here for it! 

1. Mullholland Drive (2001) 

David Lynch’s mystery “girl-next-door” thriller follows the life of Betty, an aspiring movie actress who meets Rita, a brunette woman with amnesia. Both characters join forces to retrace Rita’s memories whilst falling hard for each other. Take a drive down Mullholland Drive if you’re a fan of fever-dream-like movies that send you into a spiral of emotions. 

1. Hellbent (2004) 

Last but not least, Hellbent should be the icing to your binge-watching session. At an annual Halloween gathering, a group of gay friends is scavenged by a killer wearing a devil’s mask. The killer is meticulous with their victims, leading survivors to solve a whole murder mystery until there’s the last person standing. This is worth the watch if you’re a fan of campy slasher films with gore! 

Karen Arrobo

New School '24

Hi! My name is Karen Arrobo, I'm a sophomore at The New School pursuing Journalism & Design and Culture and Media. I enjoy listening to music and making playlists, film photography, and watching movies from any genre. I focus on a myriad of topics including music, art, culture, beauty, etc. I'm open to talking about more topics!