Why “Lady Bird” Meant so Much to Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Last week I watched “Lady Bird” with my boyfriend. The entire time I watched the movie I kept exclaiming how much it reminded me of things that had happened between my mother and I. I told him that I couldn’t believe they had captured what it’s like to be a teenager and how you speak and behave with your mother. He kept telling me that he didn’t have anything to compare it to because he is not in a mother/daughter relationship.

I want to thank Greta Gerwig, the director and writer of “Lady Bird”. I never thought that I would see such an accurate, not cliched representation of all of the stupid things I did and said to my mother when I was a teenager. This movie made me laugh and cry and touched me. I am glad that I watched it and I recommend it to everyone. After I watched this movie I called my mom and I thanked her too, for years of putting up with me when I was an immature teenager.

Let me know if you’ve seen the movie and feel the same in the comments below!!

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.