Visiting The Met In One Afternoon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

This past Sunday, I took a day trip into Manhattan for a quick visit at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. A speedy stroll through the galleries and exhibits of The Met is a difficult task. This museum is HUGE! There are more than two million square feet of real estate to cover, which could take days. However, it is possible to have an enjoyable experience in just one afternoon. 

In order to make your shortened journey through The Met successful, there are a few things you should do. First, you need to make a plan. Before your visit, pick some permanent galleries and temporary exhibitions that really interest you. Your selected stops will be your main focus. Remind yourself that you will not be able to see everything; it’s just not possible. Make the most of your planned stops and look forward to your next visit for everything else.  

The next step is to ensure your overall comfort during the visit. You can do this by picking comfortable walking shoes and by making sure you are well fed. While there are many eating options inside of the museum, they are pretty expensive. If you eat before you go, it should hold you over until the end of the afternoon. 

Speaking of expenses, the admission to The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a suggested donation. To enter the museum you have to pay something, but if you can’t afford the full suggested price that is totally okay. You are a college student, afterall! 

Now that you have arrived at the museum and paid your admission, grab a map and plan your route. Once you have found all of your selected galleries and exhibitions, head to your first stop. Try your best not to get distracted along the way or else you will never make it to everything you plan to see. 

All that’s really left to do now is enjoy the art and relax in the peaceful galleries. I guarantee that your afternoon at The Met will leave you feeling refreshed, fulfilled, and inspired. It was hard for me to say goodbye to the city on my stormy Sunday visit… perhaps I will see you there some weekend this semester. 

Visit their website for more information: https://www.metmuseum.org

Hi there! My name is Lydia and I am a senior student at SUNY New Paltz studying Early Childhood & Childhood Education with a concentration in English. Working with children brings me so much joy and I am excited for my future as a teacher and mentor. SUNY New Paltz is my true home away from home and I feel blessed to be a student here. At SUNY New Paltz, I am a proud member of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority. Being a sorority sister has benefited my college experience greatly and the Greek life community has become my family. I am also a Student Ambassador and Admissions Assistant on campus. I love being a student leader and enjoy working for the admissions department. My favorite TV shows are Gilmore Girls, Fixer Upper, and Downton Abbey. In my free time I like to craft and listen to podcasts. I am also a HUGE Disney fan! My favorite characters are Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head and the Seven Dwarfs, just the dwarfs... no Snow White. You might call me an old soul because of my love for Dean Martin music and classic movies starring Audrey Hepburn, Jerry Lewis, or Gregory Peck. I hope I can share my experiences and stories with you through this profile. Thanks for reading!