Top Ten Christmas Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

10)  Dominic the Donkey

A true staple in Christmas songs, Dominic the Donkey is just such a fun song.  Different from other songs we think of, it brings either a smile or glare and deep annoyance to anyone who hears the iconic jingles and breys of the titular donkey.  From the first time I heard this song until now, it still makes me so happy.  I highly suggest breying as loudly as you possibly can while this song plays.  Also, this song instantly makes you Italian.  No arguments.

9) Hot Chocolate

Remember Polar Express?  No, not the amazing children’s book we all grew up with, but the movie starring Tom Hanks as the conductor of the titular magical train.  Thanks to my roommate, I remembered that this movie did in fact have actual songs, which were honestly real good.  Among them is the song sung when hot chocolate was passed out, and you can’t help but grin and bounce while hearing it (and, of course, crave hot chocolate–I’m not even the biggest fan of it but I want it after hearing it).

8) Candy Cane Lane

A brand new single from the wonderful and talented Sia, and thanks to my roommate (same one as above) I’ve learned that she can really write and sing a Christmas song.  Like, this is gonna be a new staple for my holiday playlist for years to come.  If you don’t already love Sia (and honestly, why wouldn’t you?), this song will make you.  Like, I got really annoyed at seeing all those advertisements for her new album (plus it was dropping before Thanksgiving and I have a personal problem with the holidays starting November 1), but the second I realized my roommate was playing her song I was sold.  Solid bop.

7) Have a Holly Jolly Christmas

A true bop, and truly fun to sing.  With such an upbeat rhythm that’s just so easy to dance to, how can you not smile while listening to this?  Plus, it’s literally just about having fun with friends and family during the holiday season, and spreading the cheer (“say hello to friends you know / and everyone you meet”).  I honestly can’t think of another Christmas song that’s just so pure like this is.  (Plus, it’s a Buble classic, and everyone knows that Christmastime is the season that Michael Buble thrives and gains his power).

6) Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer

Admit it: you STILL sing the extra lyrics between lines whenever this plays on the radio or on Spotify.  It’s a classic, we all grew up singing it, and people are uncovering the real truths found in this song (like that Santa knew Rudolph was being bullied, since he knows if you’re naughty or nice).  Fun fact: librarian Brian Mooney did an online survey to see what extra lyrics people sing, and it’s a really cool read!

5) White Christmas

I fell in love with this song when I heard Brendon Urie (of Panic! At the Disco) cover it, and let me tell you, it is beautiful.  Any deep bass singer is made to sing this song, like Elvis Presley (his cover is truly wonderful to listen to).  

4) All I Want for Christmas is You

We were all waiting for this, because it’s not the Christmas season without hearing this song 2304811093 times (especially by Thanksgiving).  It’s a classic, it’s festive, and I honestly love it a little bit more after seeing this viral video calling out that real alto struggle from high school choir.  And besides, we all love singing-screaming the lyrics to our friends when Mariah hits them whistle tone notes.

3) The Christmas Can-Can

The best a capella Christmas song you’ve never heard.  My best friend played this to me last holiday season, and I instantly fell in love.  It perfectly captured the modern-day Christmas, from materialism to covering over every other winter religious holiday (but don’t worry, it’s not that deep or anything).  It’s SUPER enjoyable, and you can’t help but grin as each second passes.  Here’s a link so you can check out the phenomenal song, because everyone should seriously hear this beauty.

2) Wonderful Christmastime

One of THE best Christmas song, sung by the best Beatle (I will fight you on this).  I honestly never knew that this song was by Paul McCartney until maybe freshman or sophomore year of high school, and that honestly makes me love it even more because, c’mon, it’s Paul McCartney.  Its upbeat melody just makes you grin and get pumped for the season, because you GOTTA be simply having a wonderful Christmastime whenever hearing (and obviously singing along to) this bop.

1) Carol of the Bells

DUN DUH NUH DUN DUN DUH NUH DUN DUN DUH NUH DUN DUN DUH NUH DUN

DUH DUHDUHDUHDUH DUH DUHDUHDUHDUHDUH DUH DUHDUHDUHDUHDUH

That is all.

Dylan Lee

New Paltz

Hi, I'm Dylan! I'm an English student here at SUNY New Paltz, and plan to declare a Creative Writing minor soon. I love to read (Young Adult books, comics, anything having to do with magic or mermaids), write, daydream about a world with mermaids and witches, and slowly make my way through my Watch Lists on Netflix and Hulu.