Thierno Baldé, Founder of Comme Baldé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

While New York fashion week is coming to a close, Thierno Baldé, founder of fashion brand, Comme Baldé, is just finishing up his latest touches before the launch of his new season’s line of clothing. With the launch just a few weeks away, it can be difficult to sit down and talk with him – because if he’s not working on Comme Baldé, he can be found at networking events. Luckily for us, I was able to catch up with him to get an insider look on his newest collection, as well as a little insight on the life of a college student and fashion CEO.

HC: I’m guessing you are currently following New York Fashion Week. What has been your favorite trend for 2016 thus far?

Well I feel that 2016 just started and there hasn’t been a trend really but I have a feeling that this year we will see looks from bold stripes to sexy bare shoulders and these collections of styles deliver a big statement. I don’t have a favorite designer really, but I like Alexander Wang and Marc Jacobs. They have good stuff that I really like. But if I had to choose a favorite designer then it would be myself. * Laughs *

HC: That kind of sounds like something Kanye West would say. How do you feel about Yeezy Season 3?

I am not so happy with his fashion show actually. I feel like writing a blog, you know, something like “10 Reasons Why Yeezy Season 3 Failed.” It’s a bunch of people standing around and thats not fashion for me. It’s missing something. He could of done it better. Maybe he wants to be different, and that’s understandable. I like the sneakers and his old fashion show presentation.

HC: What’s your brand like?

My brand is more young and sporty. I want it to represent smart, sporty and uplifting clothes that you can wear on a Saturday afternoon with friends and right after you can go to the club with it because its fun. I want people to be excited about it. That’s why I’m excited about the brand. 

HC: When’s the new release? 

It’s March 1st, so its around the corner.

HC: Ooo! Can you give us a little insider on what to expect?

Well in general the brand is growing. We [his V.P] are working on expanding the brand and making the website more casual and business. There are a lot of changes going on. Its very minimal looking for me right now so we’re fixing that and I am also working on the Instagram account and the rest of our social media networks. Like last season, I still want to have the stripes trend. I design whatever comes to mind. This season I have accessories like bags and hats. You’ll still see stripes and its still very simple but exciting.

HC: After graduating this semester, what’s next for you and Comme Baldé?

I will keep it up. Comme Balde is no longer a side job; it’s a full time job. But once I graduate, I want to find a team of designers, bloggers and marketers to take us to the next level. I don’t mind giving students these positions but as the creative director I will still oversee everything. I need people who can start working right away and know what they’re doing. Also, after I graduate I want be a content creator, social media marketer or brand manager. I can see myself as a creative director for Tommy Hilfiger or Calvin Klein. While I am working for other brands, I still want to be the CEO of my own brand.

With his talent, charisma and ambition I will not be surprised to find him walking down the runway, after his models have showcased his clothing. So make sure to follow his work on his site, commebalde.com to take a look at his clothing or even potentially work with him on building his brand. You definitely don’t want to miss out on knowing a fellow New Paltz designer!

As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.