Support Your Local Library in the 21st Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

I have such great memories as being a kid in the library, playing on the computers with the small collection of games and taking out so many good books.  I started using it again in high school (because my high school is located right next to the town library), and really restarted my love of reading (which you may be able to tell, based on the articles I’ve written here).  At first, I would just scan the small(ish) young adult section and pick books that looked good, but then I lost my free time thanks to honors and AP classes.  I also discovered Goodreads, a phenomenal social media site for books, and started to just use the online catalog to request books instead of scanning the actual shelves in person.

But by spending summers at the library and relearning how awesome renting free books is, I learned what libraries are now offering.  We all know that libraries lend out free books, and also offer DVDs (this may seem surprising, but also like a natural progression. Some readers may remember taking out DVDs from their local public library).  But did you know that they’re lending out digital texts?  That they’ve moved into the digital age?  That’s right!  Through an awesome app called Overdrive (and a sleeker layout called Libby), you can take out ebooks and audiobooks for up to 21 days at a time!  The app is available for both iOS and Android, and only requires a free download and an active library card.  As someone who’s always busy and can’t always carry a physical book for pleasure along all the other books to read for class, having a digital copy makes it so easy to read literally wherever I am.  And the fact that this service is offered throughout the country proves that libraries are part of the modern age and should stick around.

Libraries are also great places to work and relax.  For a building made simply to keep peace and quiet, it’s perfect for more than sitting around reading books you take out.  I’ve spent countless hours working on creative writing, homework and even completing job applications all at my public library.  They offer research helpers if you need to find certain documents or need to learn about specific subjects but don’t know where to look, and even just exist as a warm place to escape to for a few hours and curl up in a comfy chair.

With the recent talk of defunding all creative and humanities-based outlets and projects, it’s really important to remember how great and important libraries are. We should also remember what fond memories we have of spending time there, and that libraries are growing with the times as much as we are.  Go to your local library now, start using Overdrive, and start really supporting your local library in any way you can.

Dylan Lee

New Paltz

Hi, I'm Dylan! I'm an English student here at SUNY New Paltz, and plan to declare a Creative Writing minor soon. I love to read (Young Adult books, comics, anything having to do with magic or mermaids), write, daydream about a world with mermaids and witches, and slowly make my way through my Watch Lists on Netflix and Hulu.