The Stages Of Thanksgiving As Told By Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Thanksgiving is one of the best holidays of the year, and guess what… It’s this week! This holiday contains something for everyone. There are friends, family, football, fun, and food… lots of food. Along with the wonderful five F’s of Thanksgiving, there are also a few inevitable stages of this glorious day (good and bad) that there’s no escaping from. What better way to describe these things than my favorite television show of all time… Friends.

The week prior to Thanksgiving break.
The week before Thanksgiving is one of the longest weeks of a college student’s’ career. You have all of your “final” tests before your actual finals (what is that about?), and of course those dreaded group projects that will be your downfall. But, none of this really matters because all you are thinking about is that huge table full of real food you will be able to devour in a few short days.

Those unnecessary, yet expected family fights.
Maybe it’s the turkey that makes people feisty? Or those delicious croissants? I don’t know what it is about this holiday, but along with all the wonderful five F’s of Thanksgiving, there is a sixth…Fighting. No matter how “perfect” your family is there is at least one fight that is bound to break out.
Whether it be between your grandmother and aunt over who makes the better sweet potatoes, or between your father and uncle of “that” football game…it’s going to happen and you know it.

Do I dress nicely or realistically?
You are finally seeing your family after months apart…you may or may not have gained or lost that freshman fifteen…either way you want to look good, right? WRONG…this is the ultimate struggle, because of course you want to look nice for your family, but then again how do you fit all that food in your stomach if you’re wearing skinny jeans? Am I right, or am I right? The perfect solution as joey demonstrates…Thanksgiving Pants! (technically Phoebe’s maternity pants)

The turkey reveal…that you’ve be awaiting since last November.
I don’t know about you, but campus food has destroyed my stomach. The only thing I really have going for me is the image of that giant, juicy turkey that will be placed right in front of me on November 26th. Oh, and I cannot forget those fluffy mashed potatoes, and the stuffing…THE STUFFING! (my mouth is drooling just thinking about it).

Time to stuff your face.
Need I say more?

Regretting stuffing your face.
Uh oh. We have all been there, and will probably be there again very soon. The meat sweats are inevitable, but they are so beyond worth it!

Questions about your future.
The worst part about Thanksgiving is anticipating those questions your family always asks you: Any boys in your life? How are your classes? Are you passing? Do you know what you want to do with your major? Do you have an internship? This is by far the worst part for any collegiette because the answer is usually, No. I have no idea what i’m doing with my life, and I’m forever alone.” Therefore, you try to avoid eye contact at all times.

Hibernation.
After all that eating, and family interrogation, exhaustion strikes. Everyone ends up dozing off at one point or another, but that’s okay…more food for those stay awake!

All in all this holiday is full of delicious food, fighting families, meat sweats, and life conversations… but it is all totally worth it!
Emily is a Junior at New Paltz currently studying communications with a concentration in public relations and minoring in general business. In the future she would like to work for a magazine either writing or doing PR for them. She loves fashion, photography, writing, traveling, friends, family...and her dog. You can follow her on Instagram @emilybeth220