Spotlight-Ready: Tray “Junior” Williams ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Unafraid to speak his mind, Tray “Junior” Williams took some time out of his busy schedule to sit down with HCNP and practice doing something he says he needs to get used to: talking about himself because if there’s anything he wants be in, it’s the spotlight.

Hometown: Harlem, NY

Relationship Status: Single, by choice Birthday: January 13th, 1995 Major: Communication Studies with a Concentration in Public Relations and a Minor in Business Campus Involvement: African Student Union Treasurer, Envied Fashions Event Coordinator, and Resident Assistant

How would you describe yourself? A mystery ‘cause people always make assumptions about me, but they’re usually wrong. Like sometimes what seems obvious really isn’t.

Craziest thing you’ve ever done?

One time I went to a Halloween party in SUNY Albany with my cousin. He stood up on top of the car and told me to drive. I drove down the block with him screaming ‘break!’ and I accidentally pressed the gas as he held on to the car. Don’t worry, he’s alive.

What’s on your bucket list before graduation?To study abroad in London and be President of Envied Fashions.

What inspires you? I do everything for my great-grandmother who passed away in 2001. With everything I do, I say ‘do it for Mommy Rose’ because she gave me everything she had until cancer took her.

If you could be anybody else in the world who would it be? Me, myself and I, please. I can’t be anybody else, that’s not me.

What’s something you can’t live without? My sisters. I’m the only boy of four children; they need me, and I need them. We’ve always had each other’s back because all we’ve ever had is each other.

You seem pretty straightforward and outspoken. What made you that way? When I was younger, I was secretive and hidden. I let people live my life for me. But one day, I went to sleep and woke up thinking, ‘I’m not doing this anymore.’ People say you don’t just wake up and change, but sometimes you do.

Perfect date? Laying in bed watching TV. It’s weird though—I don’t have an ideal date because I’ve never been on one, so I just want to go on an actual date. I don’t have expectations.

Career goals? Something that involves being in front of the camera like modeling high fashion or acting. I definitely can’t sit at a desk.

What kind of projects are you working on right now? Doing different photoshoots, sending my photos to different casting calls, and finding acting classes. I’m building my brand and trying to make my talent into a career.

What’s a quirk or catch phrase of yours?I wink at everybody. I’m definitely a winker and “No shade” is something you’ll hear me say a lot.

SPEED ROUND

Most you’ve ever spent on clothing?$2,500-dollar custom-made prom outfit and the shoes cost $1,000

Favorite Designer? Giuseppe Zanotti

Artists you’re listening to right now? J. Cole and Sam Smith

Spirit animal? A Monkey. I’m goofy as hell.

Dream Car? An all-black Range Rover. One day I want to step out my range with Christian Louboutin red bottoms.

Where can we follow you?Instagram: @___Junior_____

Any last words? I really believe I’m going to be famous or notorious. Look out for me.

SUNY New Paltz '16 Jenisse Bouret is a Dominican New Yorker with a passion for media. She is a T. Howard Alumna, Resident Assistant, and Station Manager at her university's Television Station, WNPC-TV. Recently, she was published on NY1's Spanish News Channel, NY1 Noticias. Follow her on instagram @JenisseB & connect with her on Linkedin.com/in/jenissebouret.