woman wearing green graduation cap
woman wearing green graduation cap
Juan Ramos/Unsplash

A Second is Worth a Thousand Words

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

People say that “a picture is worth a thousand words” but how about a second of your day? If you know me, you will be quick to realize that I am about to write about my new favorite app on my iPhone that I cannot stop talking about. 1 Second Everyday is an incredible app that allows you to literally record one second of your day. The app then compiles all the clips you recorded (you can do it for a week or 5 years) into a montage video.

~This is what you see when you first open the app~

Cesar Kuriyama, the creator of the app, did this really inspiring TedTalk about why he decided to record 1 second of his day, everyday. He explains that he hates that time blurs together, making humans forget prominent memories in their lifetime. By executing this idea, he was able to be active in his memory, forcing him to remember a whole day just by one second.

“Visualization is the way to trigger memory,” says Kuriyama and I definitely have to agree. I have a poor memory to begin with and somehow I’ll remember an entire day just by looking at one second. For example… I taped one second of my roommate, Hara, doing work while I was eating ice cream. Just by looking back at it, I remember that I also worked on a group project that day and saw some friends that I hadn’t seen in awhile. Boring day, but oddly memorable.

It is crazy to think that in 3 short months, I will be graduating a semester early from SUNY New Paltz with with a Bachelor’s in communication with a concentration in public relations and real responsibilities. That being said, I do not want to forget my last semester at school and this app is helping me embrace all the great memories I am making.

Thanks to this app, I have been able to actively go outside and enjoy the amazingness that is, the Hudson Valley, instead of curling up in my bed and watching Buzzfeed videos all day. In this past month of school alone, I have finally traveled to Lake Minnewaska and High Falls (I have some pretty epic seconds from those trips!). Also, I’ve been cherishing my time with friends by recording them in my seconds. It is the perfect reason to hang out during these hectic times!

The countless “sunset over the Mohonk Mountains” pictures on Instagram or “omg Happy Hour at Pigs” videos on snapchat are great, but this is even better. I encourage all Her Campus readers to take charge of their lives and check out this app!

SIDE NOTE: it’s $2.99 but totally worth it. Get it here in the app store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1-second-everyday/id587823548?mt=8

(DISCLAIMER: This post is not sponsored.)

Sara is a fourth-year public relations major with a minor in sociology at SUNY New Paltz embarking her post-grad life 6 months earlier than most seniors. She's graduating early and is happy/scared about what future lies ahead. She is currently involved in The Sexy Pitches, the all-girls a cappella group, and works at The Welcome Center in the Haggerty Administration Building. You can catch Sara chilling in her pajamas playing ukulele in bed or singing her heart out on stage. Follow her on all social media @sshameemz.