One-on-one with Comedians Thomas Dale and Nicole Byer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

On October 23, 2015 SUNY New Paltz’s Student Association of Productions hosted its first ever pop-up comedy show. The show featured Nicole Byer from MTV’s Girl Code and Thomas Dale from Chelsea Lately and HBO’s Funny As Hell.Thanks to coordinator Goldie Harrison, we were able to sit and talk with them before their sets. 

What characteristic do you have that has made you successful?

Thomas Dale: I would say business wise I’m easy to work with. Artistically, my vulnerability and realness. 

What’s been the most difficult experience you’ve had as a comedian?

TD: I would say trying to be as authentic to who I am because show biz is always trying to make you into who they want you to be. 

How did your upbringing influence you as a comedian?

TD: Growing up — I’m gay — growing up gay in this tough and masculine family I always felt like I didn’t fit in. So I’ve always felt like not fitting in has helped my comedic sense. 

What has been your biggest source of inspiration?

TD: My biggest source of inspiration has been my pain and struggle. From my whole life. 

RAPID FIRE:

What’s your go to song when you’re feeling down?

TD: Oh my gosh! I have so many right now! *laughs* My most recent one is “Where are U Now” by Justin Bieber. 

Laura: OH MY GOD IT”S SO GOOD!

Dayana: Have you heard the new Adele song?

TD: I listened to it five times on the way here!

L: Have you heard “Sorry” the new Justin Bieber single?

TD: Sorry?! No! STFU hold on I need to write that down right now… Actually I’m just going to buy it right now.

*Takes out phone and buys “Sorry”*

What’s your favorite movie and why?

TD: My favorite old old horror movie is *pauses and plays beginning of Sorry* “Nightmare on Elm Street.” Then my favorite movie with my first love was “Bring It On.” We like watched that over and over and over again. “I’m Big Red.” And right now, I would say I don’t really have one.

What’s your go to pick up line?

TD: My go to pick up line is, “You want this bro?” *laughs* 

D: Does it work?

TD: No *laughs* For shady guys it works. Not for anyone decent. I haven’t been able to work myself up to a nice healthy relationship. My sisters always say I’m like, “that girl.” The one that always wants like the asshole and they’re all in like good relationships. 

What are three ideal characteristics you look for in men?

TD: Honesty, Loyalty and Humor. 

D: That’s so funny! You want this and you still go for the asshole men.

TD: Right! I’m deranged! It’s so true! Cause I want to change them and make them that. 

L/D: Ohh like a project.

TD: Yes, exactly I want a project. 

Who is your celebrity crush and why?

TD: Right now, it’s the guy from the Giver. He was also the prince in Maleficent. What’s his name… He’s like from Australia or something. He’s beautiful. I’m so annoyed that I can’t remember, let me take a second to look. 

*Google and a few seconds later..*

TD: Brenton Thwaites.

What would you say is the characteristic that has made you most successful, besides obviously being funny?

Nicole Byer: I don’t look like everybody else which is probably a plus. And then when I first started, I wasn’t looking to be successful, I was trying to be the funniest person, so I think just focusing on what makes me funny, helps.

What has been the most difficult thing that you’ve encountered as a comedian?

NB: Oh God. I would say the most difficult thing is bombing, like having a difficult show. But like you learn from those and when you wake up its fine. Probably not booking jobs that you want, like you get a callback it seems like its going to go forward and it doesn’t. And I’m like great, cool.

What’s been your biggest source of inspiration?

NB: My biggest source of inspiration would be my mom, dad, and Whoopi Goldberg. I really love Whoopi Goldberg. I grew up idolizing her.

What was the process like on getting on Girl Code?

NB: So Girl Code was the weirdest audition I’ve ever done cause it’s the way we film the show. So like the way we film the show is, you sit in a chair in front of a green screen. There’s a cameraman, a sound guy, a producer, an intern and the director asking you questions. I’ve never done anything like that and they’re like ‘What’s a frenemy and I’m like I don’t f*cking know, some bitch you like but don’t like. I don’t know. ‘ And I guess they liked someone who was like ‘I don’t know’. But very opinionated. But yeah it was very weird, but like fun and I like doing it.

Would you consider yourself a feminist?

NB: F*ck yes, I’m a feminist. Women who say they’re not feminists don’t understand what the word feminist means. It just means you believe in the equality of men and women., that is literally it. Its not you hate men, it’s not that you don’t want to shave your armpits. It’s none of that bullshit. It is literally you want to go to work and be treated the same as a dude. That is it. And it bothers me to no end when girls are like ‘Im not a feminist because I want to stay home and take care of my babies.’ That’s feminism, the choice you have to do that; not that someone is making you. I can go on for days.

What’s your go to song?

NB: Uh I just decided this in the car ride actually. Its my  neck my back by Khia. Do you know that song?

HC: Yes!

NB: I was like jamming hard! This is my favorite song.

Make sure to check out NPC-TV’s interview with the comedians at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewtEWXHGQcY

100% Colombian. My hobbies include eating buffalo wings, doing yoga and binge watching Netflix.
As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.