An Introvert’s Tips for Succeeding in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

For us shy types, college can be a struggle.  In a campus of boisterous partiers, we prefer nights in sipping our hot chocolate, and in a classroom of loud go-getters, we’re the quiet, intellectual thinkers.

My first piece of advice? OWN THIS.  Introverts possess awesome strengths, like making level-headed decisions and being a calm presence. Quiet leaders like Susan Cain have been redefining what being an introvert means, and also greatly inspired this article.

However at some point, you may have viewed your introversion as a flaw because making friends or getting ahead is difficult for you. From the constant pressures of socialization, to not being heard in class, living and studying in a college environment can present challenges for introverts. Well don’t stress it! Here are some ways you can get the most out of college and come out your very best introverted self!

1.  Dive Into Your Work or Passion

As introverts, we are very creative and and very passionate about our interests.  Own your talents!  Whether it’s painting, writing, yoga, skateboarding, or anything under the sun, channel your energy into doing what you love, and you’ll love yourself for it.

2.  Learn Quiet Participation

Sometimes class participation counts toward grades (Yikes!). Either way, it’s a good idea to be a part of class discussion and form relationships with your professors.  Don’t panic, though. I’ve found that sitting in front of the class makes it easier to pipe up and ask a question or give a comment.  The professor will hear your soft voice if you’re in the front, and you won’t be reminded that there’s a classroom of people in the room with you.  If you do this once every class, you’re golden!  I also make a point to visit my professors during office hours. Introverts do well with those one-on-one conversations, so take advantage of that!

3.  Join a Small Club

Luckily at New Paltz (or at any small college), it won’t be difficult to find a small group to join.  This will give you an opportunity to either try something new or bond with others over something you love.  Small clubs provide a low-key, friendly environment for introverts to make new friends!

4.  Let Your Ideas Be Heard

Doing this is sure to boost your confidence and make you more likely to speak up in the future.  A good way to start off is by posting on social media or starting your own blog to find your voice!  It can be about anything- personal life, plans for the future, creative ideas, or your opinions. If writing isn’t your thing, start by telling your ideas to close family and friends. As introverts, we’re always letting other people speak first. It’s healthy to express what you think and feel, too, so make sure you’re doing this as much as your temperament allows.

5.  Manage Your Time Wisely

This is sound advice for any college student, but introverts may benefit from it differently.  With college life comes a lot of socialization- whether it’s in class, around campus, or on a night out.  This much socializing tires us out, and we need alone time to recharge. So introverts, optimize your time!  First off, don’t feel like you need to go out all the time. I know it seems like that’s what everyone else is doing, but don’t buy into this.  Organize fun nights in with your friends.  When you do go out, don’t feel pressured to go wild.  A drink or two is great and can help loosen you up, but do what’s comfortable for you.  When you get home, treat yourself to some quality time with Netflix.

6.  Make An Extroverted Friend

Extroverts can push you out of your comfort zone and show you a fun time!  They can also show you their ways of articulation and non-awkward conversations (what a dream!). If you hang around them long enough, some of their exuberant nature could rub off on you!  In all seriousness, extroverted friends see the best in you and will make sure you’re having a good time when they drag you out of your dorm.

7.  But Keep Your Introvert Besties Close, Too

You’ll always need that one fellow introvert who you can sit down to coffee with and talk about life.  Like you, this person is a good listener, introspective thinker, nurturing soul, and a loyal friend.  They relate to you. They understand. Treasure this gem in your life and never let them go.

8.  Believe In Yourself.

Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds cheesy.  But just remember that your introversion and/or shy nature is not the end-all-and-be-all of who you are.  You have plenty of great qualities that will help you both in your social and professional life, so let ‘em shine! We may be quiet, but “can’t” is not in our vocabulary.  If it’s something you truly want, you’ll make it happen.

Briana is nineteen years old from Long Island, NY. She studies journalism and art at SUNY New Paltz. She loves the beach, writing music reviews, going to concerts, and having chill nights in with her friends & family (usually watching Netflix and eating ice cream). She is an upbeat, friendly introvert and never leaves home (or the dorm) without her pen, notebook & earbuds.