Interview with Member of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority Jessica Jerome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

This week I had the opportunity to sit down with Jess Jerome, a junior Education major and member of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz. I asked her some questions about her time on campus so far and she was kind enough to allow me to profile her busy campus involvement this week!

Q: Why did you choose SUNY New Paltz?

A: I chose SUNY New Paltz because I knew that I didn’t want to be too far from home. When applying for schools, I was dating a guy who went to the Culinary Institute and on one of my visits to see him, I toured New Paltz. I instantly fell in love with the campus and the education program. Growing up on the North Fork of Long Island, New Paltz was a reasonable distance away, and I couldn’t imagine another school as perfect for myself.

Q: What is your major?

A: My major is early childhood education with a concentration in mathematics.

Q: How did you choose your major?

A: In high school, I went to Eastern Long Island BOCES for early childhood education. From an early age, I thought that I wanted to be a teacher. After my two years in the program at BOCES, I knew that early childhood education was the major for me.

Q: What is your dream job?

A: My dream job is being a kindergarten or 1st grade teacher in South Carolina. Q: Why did you choose to join Kappa Delta Phi N.A.S.?

A: I honestly came across Kappa through instagram. One of the now alumnae, who ended up being my big, liked one of my photos and I became interested in the org. A few weeks later, I was with one of my friends and I met one of her friends who just so happened to be in the org. Everything felt like it was meant to be, so I went with it. Q: What is your favorite thing about Greek Life?

A: I absolutely adore the amount of support that Greek Life provides for all of its members. Not only have I become part of the Kappa family who I love dearly, but I have the support of all other Greek orgs on campus which is truly astonishing. Q: What is your favorite thing about New Paltz?

A: My favorite thing about New Paltz is how small it is. I came from a VERY small town, and I felt like New Paltz had that home-y feel that I was looking for in a college.

Q: What is your favorite place to hang out in town?

A: My favorite place to hang out in town is probably either Water Street Market by the waterfall, or Mexican Kitchen. It’s a very close call, but in most cases you can probably find me munching on a taco. Q: Where is your favorite place to hang out on campus?

A: My favorite place to hang out on campus has recently been my suite. I live with a bunch of my beautiful sorority sisters and I always feel like I can be myself. There is always something going on in the suite and I am never bored. If not, that is where my bed is, and I LOVE my bed and naps.

Q: Any advice to give to people who are new on our campus?

A: One thing that I really wish someone told me when I first came to New Paltz was to put yourself out there even if you aren’t comfortable with the idea. College is a place where you can be yourself without your high school self. Join clubs, teams, or orgs that interest you. There is something for everyone on campus and having something you are interested in can make your college experience that much more memorable.

As you can see Jess is very involved in both her major and in Greek Life! She’s a very friendly person and has just started writing for our Her Campus team so look out for her articles and her on campus!

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.