Interview with Kayleigh Monahan: Sorority President and Campus Correspondent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

This week I sat down with Kayleigh Monahan, President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SUNY New Paltz. I asked her some questions about her major, Greek Life, Her Campus and some of her favorite things about New Paltz.

Q: What made you decide to attend New Paltz in the first place?

A: “Well, New Paltz is one of two schools that I applied to and it’s the only school I actually went and looked at. My cousin went here when I was a freshman and he was nice enough to give me a tour and show me the ropes a bit. The thing that really sold me though was the person on Main Street dressed up as Batman. It was that moment that I knew the vibe of the student population here was perfect for me.”

Q: What is your favorite thing about New Paltz?

A: “I think I’d have to say that my favorite thing is that you can be who you are without the fear of really being judged. New Paltz is a very accepting place and every person is unique, and here that’s celebrated, not criticized.”

Q: What is your major?

A: “I am a sociology major with a concentration in human services.”

Q: What made you want to join Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority?

A: “I found that the group of girls who were in the org when I was rushing were really cool. They weren’t super high-maintenance and they were all busy, which meant that the sorority didn’t entirely take over their lives. I really love what Kappa stands for as a whole and I’m proud to be a sister.”

Q: What’s it like being president of a Greek Organization?

A: “It’s somewhat hectic. There’s a lot more paperwork than you anticipate at first and when things go wrong, it’s somewhat on you to find the solution for the problem. But all in all it’s really great. I get to lead a great group of women and be a big spokesperson for an organization that I love.”

Q: How did you discover Her Campus?

A: “I had seen the flyers around campus when they first started up and I was interested, but at the time I had too much going on to make a commitment. Then I got an email over the summer about Her Campus looking to relaunch the chapter here. I thought about it for a long time and clicked around on the website often. I discovered that it’s a website really done by women our age for women our age. I was inspired by the articles and the fact that it’s mostly student run. So I applied and was accepted as the Campus Correspondent for our chapter.”

Q: What’s it like to be the Campus Correspondent for HC New Paltz?

A: “Similar to being the sorority president, being the Campus Correspondent can get a little hectic at times. But it’s really great to bring an organization that I believe in to our campus community and share it with everyone here.”

Q: What’s your dream job?

A: “That’s a hard one, but probably to be a social worker in the Department of Social Services, or to work with the Center for Prevention of Child Abuse.”

As you can see, Kayleigh is dedicated to all of her organizations on campus and has a soft spot in her heart for New Paltz. She’s a friendly face on campus and encourages people to not be afraid to wave to her when they see her and ask her any questions about anything she’s involved in.

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.