This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Photo Courtesy of SUNY New Paltz Athletics

Name: Hugo the Hawk

Class Status: School Mascot

Hometown: New Paltz, NY

Major: School spirit

Relationship Status: Single but ready to mingle

Positions on Campus: #1 Cheerleader, School Mascot, Biggest New Paltz Sports Fan

HC: How did you get the name Hugo the Hawk?

Hugo: 12 students in 2010 voted to give me a very special name. Hugo Freer was one of the 1st French Huguenots that came to New Paltz in 1677. I’m honored to be named after one of the original founders to this exciting town!

HC: What do you do for fun?

Hugo: I do a lot for fun! When I’m not watching the sports team play games at the Hawk Center I spend some time doing yoga. I like to stretch out my wings and center myself. Especially if we have a big game coming up!

HC: If you weren’t a mascot what would you be doing?

Hugo: I most likely would be soaring over the catskill mountains. But I would still show up to every game and get the crowd PUMPED. I was born to lead the crowd!

HC: Are you ready for SUNY Mascot Madness? We heard you were a winner in the first annual contest.

Hugo: I beat 30 other SUNY mascots that year! I was so proud of all my classmates, friends and family who kept on voting for me. Wolfie from Stonybrook University was only 50 votes behind me, but New Paltz was not ready to back down. I went all around campus getting people to vote and we ended up taking home the title!

HC: Do you think you’ll win again this year?

Hugo: I sure hope so! Even though I didn’t win last year I know the students at SUNY New Paltz will love to take home the title again.

HC: What’s your favorite part of SUNY New Paltz?

Hugo: I LOVE everything about this school! But my favorite part is when the sun sets over the mountains and you can see the sky turning amazing colors while standing outside of the athletic and wellness center.

HC: What do you do to prepare for a game?

Hugo: I start game day with a healthy and hearty breakfast. I go down to Haz or the SUB and eat eggs, cereal, fruit, toast and a big glass of milk. I then listen to music that gets me hyped. Finally, right before the game I do some quick stretches and then I’m ready to interact with the team and crowd. Once the game begins there is no way I’m sitting down. GO HAWKS!

HC: Where can we catch you in action?

Hugo: You can catch me cheering on all of my favorite teams in the Hawk Center every game day. Check out the New Paltz Hawks online and you’ll find a calendar with all the dates and locations of where teams are playing. Can’t wait to catch you all there!

Hey there! This is Kathryn Geraghty coming at you from SUNY New Paltz! I am a senior studying journalism/public relations. Deciding to graduate a full semester early, I'm doing all I can to make these final moments in college last for what feels like a life-time. I enjoy hanging out with friends and watching the world go by from my porch. Being the "Chatty Kathy" I am, strangers are my favorite type of people. Having a conversation with someone you most likely will never see again has an enticing element to it. Once I graduate I hope to travel the country via train and write for those who want their voices heard. Feel free to message me with ideas or a good chat!
As a third-year student and Campus Correspondent at SUNY New Paltz, Dayana manages a team of writers to successfully show the writing abilities of students at New Paltz. She is currently majoring in Communications with a concentration in Public Relations and minoring in Sociology. When she isn't in class or working, you can find her glued to her camera and/or kindle, hiking on Minnewaska State Park, cheering on the Hawks or figuring out what to wear on a night out. You can follow her on Instagram @dayana_alv.