jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Meet New People at SUNY New Paltz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

As a freshman, just walking onto this campus four short weeks ago, I was overwhelmed by all the people. Coming from a small town of 2,300 inhabitants in total, the 6,570 students was somewhat of a culture shock. I know I would have been much more prepared to meet people if I had known where to start. Here are just a few of the ways that I have learned that I can meet new friends and contacts on campus!

1. Hasbrouck Dining Hall

I know it sounds cheesy, but the dining hall is such a good place to get acquainted with people, especially if you are a freshman and have no choice but to eat there! The food isn’t that great, I have to admit, but the company can make up for it. Personally, I have met some of my closest friends just by going up to them when they are by themselves. Don’t knock it until you try it!

2. Clubs and Organizations

Everyone says this, so, I talk about this one with a grain of salt. I think that while clubs are great to involve yourself in campus activities, they might be a bit harder to meet people in, especially if you only meet once a week! Once the group is established it will be easier to create bonds, but the first couple of meetings are not really focused on the friendship as much as the club, and I think that is important to point out. The clubs are great, but it takes a lot of time to create friendships within the club! But remember, the best things and relationships take time.

3. Hall Meetings and RA Activities

These are sometimes lame, and it seems like there are so many other things to do on campus, but it is nice to not have to leave your hall to make friends! Some of these are more active than others, and sometimes it is as simple as study tips while eating cookies, but they are worth it to go to, if you can. After all, you are living with these people for the year, and it is nice to have a friendly face in the hallways.

4. Classrooms

Make a friend in your class. Better yet, make multiple friends in your class!. If you are sick, or you can’t make it to class, it is SO important to have someone to count on to get the notes for you and let you know what you missed. Not only this, but the people in your classes are most likely going to either be your co-workers, or your competitors for jobs in the future. They are interested in much of the same things you are, and it is important to make connections with these people.

And last but not least…

5. On-Campus Activities and Speakers

These are so important to go to. They are fun and super interesting most of the time, and they also usually have food! I have gone to fairs and game nights and craft activities, and they all have led me to meet new and exciting people. I think that most people expect that these will be lame, or not engaging, but they are the most helpful things to go to, if we want to meet a whole lot of people in a very short time span.

Let me know if any of these tips help you to meet new people on our campus in the comments!

Shyana is a freshman majoring in Journalism at SUNY New Paltz. Along with HerCampus, she is also active in Relay for Life and the Honors Program. She has an unhealthy obsession with a lot of things, including Netflix, HGTV, anything Disney, Pumpkin Spice, and country music. Her dream is to become a successful magazine writer in either fashion or lifestyle, where she is able to live by the ocean and be close to her family.