diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

All my life I’ve always been super organized. I’m not entirely sure why that is, no one around me was ever as organized as me. I was obsessed with organization because it made me anxious when I wasn’t organized. Even when I was a little girl, I wrote notes in a certain way, never left the house without making my bed, and always made sure my room was clean. As I got older, these habits definitely helped because when you’re in college, you are pretty much on your own. You don’t have teachers reminding you of every deadline coming up. Instead, you are just given the syllabus with all of the deadlines and expected to remember.

Here are some of the ways that I stay organized and on top of my deadlines:

1) A Planner:

My favorite part of the school year is setting up my planner! After all of my professors post their syllabus, I get ready with all my colored pens and highlighters. I go through each syllabus and color code them in my planner by subject. Then, I write all the dates things are due and when I should do them by.

2) A Reminder App:

There are times that I forget to look in my planner. Luckily, I have another go-to! I put all of my important meetings, due dates, and events on my reminder app. I set the app to remind me at a reasonable time, so that I have plenty of time to get where I need to be or finish any tasks. Staying on track and on time really gives me an extra boost!

3) Doing Assignments Ahead of Time:  

In my past college years, I have had a problem with procrastination. Since joining a sorority and club I had too much going on. This year, I have learned to save one day a week to sit down and try to get as much work done as I can. When I go to sit down, watch a show, or lay down, I will rethink that choice and do homework instead. At least starting an assignment is better than nothing! Doing all of this helps me not to worry about my assignments as the deadlines draw closer.

Let me know in the comments below how you keep yourself organized or if any of my tips have helped you! I hope this helps you on your endeavors to be more organized!

A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.