Style > Beauty

How to Handle Curly Hair: A Comprehensive Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

I’ve always had curly, thick hair. When I was younger, I had perfect little blonde ringlets. They fell gracefully along my back until my hair got too long. Then I cut my hair, but not just a little trim. I went for a bob. You know, the haircut that every middle schooler wants, but isn’t at all flattering? That’s the one. I was resigned to brushing out my hair every day, which in turn left it frizzy, flat, and dead. I went on like this for quite some time, and then made the intelligent decision to dye my hair platinum blonde. Then red. Then blonde again.

Now that my hair was back to its natural color, I finally decided to stop brushing it out and take the appropriate steps to getting my curls back. Then began the long process of research and trial and error. I now have a routine down, and although it is much more time consuming, I would never want to go back to unhealthy flat hair. Here are my tips and tricks to handling curly hair like a pro, so you can get the gorgeous, natural curls that you deserve.

1) Don’t EVER brush your hair dry.

Huge mistake in the curly world. Detangle your hair after shampoo, with a generous amount of conditioner and a wide tooth comb or your fingers. Conditioner is a curly girl’s best friend, as we need a lot more moisture in our hair in order for it to be healthy.

2) Use a gel or cream after showering.

I personally use DevaCurl ArcAngel gel, but you can play around with whatever works for you. This will help give some volume to your curls, while also maintaining shine.

3) Step away from the towel.

Don’t dry your hair with a regular towel. This breaks hair and makes it a frizzy nightmare. Instead, try a microfiber towel or a t-shirt. Flip your wet hair upside down and scrunch upwards with the shirt to dry the hair.

4) Catch some zzz’s. But not with that cotton pillowcase.

Use a silk pillowcase, or a scarf, to cover your pillow. Just like the towel, the pillowcase breaks hair and encourages more frizz. Along with that, put your hair up on top of your head instead of in the back to save it from being squashed flat. (I call it a pineapple.)

5) Ditch the hair bands.

I know that especially with thick hair, ponytails are a lifesaver. But don’t use those small black bands. Bring the 80’s back with scrunchies! Not only are they super cute, they cause less damage to your curls and they don’t give you that dreaded crease.

6) For the best results, go sulfate AND silicone free.

Yes, I know it’s daunting. But there are plenty of shampoos and conditioners that still are affordable and available. I personally love DevaCurl Products, but I know that they can be expensive so just shop around. Sulfates are harsh detergents that strip your hair, and silicones coat your hair. These can be fine for straight hair, but curly hair is so much more delicate.

Go out and rock those curls! I am so happy that I am in a place now where I can wear my natural hair and be proud of it. I used to be so scared that people would think it looked messy, but I have gotten nothing but compliments since I went natural.

Much love,

Shy

Shyana is a freshman majoring in Journalism at SUNY New Paltz. Along with HerCampus, she is also active in Relay for Life and the Honors Program. She has an unhealthy obsession with a lot of things, including Netflix, HGTV, anything Disney, Pumpkin Spice, and country music. Her dream is to become a successful magazine writer in either fashion or lifestyle, where she is able to live by the ocean and be close to her family.
A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.