The Different Types Of Guys You Can Date At New Paltz

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

No one ever said dating in college was easy. But they didn’t say how hard it was either! Here at SUNY New Paltz, the dating scene is… well, let’s just say there’s not a lot of fish in the Gunk. Let this be your guide to debunk and define the different types of guys you can date at New Paltz.

10. The Guy From Back Home

He is so sweet, funny, and you actually have a good time hanging out with him. But he’s also 100 miles away. And isn’t interested in a long-distance relationship. Thank you, life.

9. The Frat Guy

He tries to impress you by drinking his weight in beer but the only way that’s impressive is if he still makes it to his 8AM on time tomorrow. Also, there is somehow 20 other girls interested in watching him funnel his beer?

8.  The Athlete

He has a crazy schedule and tries to make you cater to it. Listen, it’s not your fault he has to be up at the crack of dawn for a tournament. The athletic life chose him, not you. You’ve got your own schedule to keep up with.

7. The Guy From The Bar

He tries to talk to you but you can’t hear him over the loud music and before you know it he’s trying to dance with you.

6. The Tinder Guy

And you’re surprised he doesn’t want to commit???

5. The Resident Assistant

A man of power. A man who (presumably) knows about responsibility. A man who has his life together. A man who has his own room.  A man, that if you date and later break up, could lead to awkward encounters. Especially if he’s an RA in your building.

4. The Guy From Class

You talk about homework assignments that don’t make sense or how crazy your professor is but that’s it. You would love to grab coffee with him but if it lead to more than a study session do you know how awkward class could become?

3. The Freshman

YOU.

ARE.

A.

SENIOR.

2. The “Wait, Didn’t You Graduate?” Guy

You spot him on campus from time to time. You see him livin’ it up at the bars. But he was here when you were a freshman… and now you’re a senior. Conclusion: He is either a graduate student (okay) or can’t let go of his college days (not okay).

1. The Musician

New Paltz is filled with them. You can’t go out anywhere without seeing someone with a guitar (everyone’s instrument of choice). Musicians are dreamers with visions of making beautiful music for the world to listen to. Just make sure you’re not the one who’s footing the bill of his dreams.

It’s a cruel, cold world out there in the dating scene. Remember to have some fun and make sure you’re making yourself happy first. May the odds be ever in your favor!

Just an ordinary girl trying to do extraordinary things.
Emma Koch

New Paltz

Emma is a fourth-year student at SUNY New Paltz, where she is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Business. Born and raised in Upstate New York, Emma now divides her time between school, her hometown, and Houston, TX where her family currently lives. Besides school and internships, as well as being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Emma's other passions include fashion and beauty, health and fitness, trying new recipes, iced coffee, watching netflix with her roomie, online shopping, country music, and her sorority, Sigma Delta Tau. Her dream is to find a career in the Public Relations field where she is able to travel the world and have new experiences doing what she loves. Follow her on Instagram @emmma.koch