nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Don Paine From SUB Connection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Name: Don Paine

Hometwon: Highland, New York

Position: SUB Connection Cashier/Employee

Immediate Family: One daughter, 31 years old and is the cheerleading coach at SUNY New Paltz

Education: Rockland Community College A.A (Associates degree in Art)

As I walk into the SUB (Student Union Building) searching for Don, I see him sitting at one of the high-top tables in the corner. He’s waving his arm in the air while smiling from ear to ear. He asks me to pull over a chair because one of his friends is meeting with him too. A few moments later a junior at SUNY New Paltz approaches the table. His name is Sal. Don refers to Sal as his good friend for three and a half years now. Sal said Don always makes time to meet with him to catch up on his lunch break which makes him feel special. This seems to be a reoccurring event. Especially since Don has worked at SUB Connection for five years. As I interviewed Don many people stopped by to say “hello” both faculty and students. Each person smiling and happy to see him.

HC: How did you get your job at SUB Connection?

DP: Through a friend, he insisted I had a good personality to work with college students and would be a positive influence on them. So I figured, why not?

HC: What’s the most rewarding part of working with college students?

DP: Being able to make them feel good and smile. Especially when they are so stressed out. I also love just hanging out with them and supporting them at their events. Whether it’s sporting events or community service.

HC: What’s a piece of advice you would give to college students?

DP: Just try your best and feel good about yourself. If you find a way to positively relieve stress, your wellbeing and even your grades will be better. You do not need to be an “A” student to be amazing. Just always try your best and don’t stress too much.

HC: What makes SUNY New Paltz so special? 

DP: Definitely the students. They are so welcoming and want to help others and make a difference. I feel blessed to work here. 

HC: What’s one event that happened in your life that changed your perspective?

DP: The birth of my daughter. Her mom left when she was only two. So I’ve raised her by myself. It has been hard at times, but she makes me proud everyday and that’s really rewarding.

HC: What values did you instill in your daughter while growing up?

DP: To be kind, to be happy and be willing to make other people laugh. My mother always taught us to behave and treat others right, “Or else”! 

HC: What is your motto in life?

DP: Be happy and try to make other people laugh. I try to make at least one person a day laugh. 

HC: What’s your favorite meal here at the SUB?

DP: I’m eating it right now actually! The Jambalaya soup, it’s great for the cold weather.

HC: What’s something you do on your down time?

DP: I love to draw, it’s relaxing. I do mostly landscapes. I never could draw people. I went to school for drawing, but I didn’t like how they criticized something so special to me that came from the heart.

HC: What’s your favorite hobby?

DP:  Playing golf. I love being outside for three to five hours just enjoying the company of my friends. No phones, no distractions. It’s just peaceful.

Why New Paltz students love Don Paine:

Natalie Angley, Junior at SUNY New Paltz: Don is the sweetest man alive. Every time I see him, even if I’m not buying a sandwich but just walking through the SUB, he makes a point to say “hi” and hug me. He always asks how I’m doing with school, family, the holidays, etc. He’s so caring and genuine. He is hands down definitely my favorite worker and I look forward to seeing him every time I go to the SUB!!

Joseph Babyer, alumni from SUNY New Paltz Spring ’15: It was nice to have someone you saw everyday put in the extra effort just to make your day more special. He would always ask how we were doing and was such a positive person to be around.

Jessica Marie, Senior at SUNY New Paltz: He is always smiling and asks me how my day is going, he even donates when we table in the sub. His sweet personality always makes my day a little brighter.

My name is Louise Puma but most people call me Weizee. I am a senior at SUNY New Paltz with a Public Relations major and a minor in Women's Studies. I am passionate about women's rights and raising awareness about societal issues. I love to meet new people and learn more about the world through their experiences. I love to try new food places. I drink coffee like its a hobby. I love to work out and explore nature. Writing has become my lifeline and has helped me develop who I am as a person.