9 Ways You Know You Are A Second Semester Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Finishing your senior year is both exciting and scary. Being a second semester senior is a interesting and unique time in your life. Below are some signs that you are officially a second semester senior!

1. Frat Parties Have Lost Their Appeal

The excitement of going to frat parties has lost its spark. You look at all the freshmen heading out to the frat parties, and you feel so old.  The party scene is starting to get tiring.

2.  A “Crazy Night” Consists Of Netflix And Wine

Gone are the nights of going to bars and parties. Now a “crazy night” is one where you relax in your PJ’s or sweats with some Netflix, wine and good friends. 

3.  Skipping Class Becomes Easier

You decide since you skipped your first class of the day, why not skip the second? It sounds so much more appealing to skip class and Netflix binge. The motivation you had when you were a freshmen is gone; after four years of college, you are burnt out.

4.  You use LinkedIn As Much As Facebook

The pressure is on to find a job. Your inbox is overflowing with notifications from Monster and glassdoor.com. You check LinkedIn as much as you check Facebook (Perhaps even more!)

5. You Can’t Count The Number of Times You’ve Been Asked About “Plans After College”

That seems to be the question everyone loves to ask. You don’t want to think about life after college yet, but the world is forcing you too. Whether it’s sending out grad school applications or job applications, thinking of the real world is stressful.  

6.  Your Closet Has Transformed Into Only Professional Clothes

You never know when you will be attending job fair or interview so you stock your closet full of professional clothing. No more “going out” outfits. You are transitioning into a real adult.

7.  Nostalgia

As you walk around campus, it starts to hit you that in a short time you will be graduating. You start to get sentimental over the little things. Although you may complain about the campus food, you even start to think you will miss it. Your freshman dorm building brings back memories and you realize how precious your time left here is.

8.  The Desire To Do Everything

Since it is your last semester, you want to accomplish everything on your bucket list. Go out on a Tuesday, go to “Tower Hour,” spend the afternoon walking the rail trail. In order to justify some actions, you tell yourself you won’t have the opportunity to do these things once you get to the real world.

9.  You Don’t Know Whether To Be Sad Or Happy College Is Ending

On the one hand, you are excited to be done with school, and stressing out about assignments and tests. However, you are sad to leave a place that has been your home and where you built lasting relationships with close friends who made your college experience so wonderful.

Hayley is a recent graduate of SUNY New Paltz. She hopes to pursue a career in Public Relations in the future. Her hobbies include graphic design,photography,writing and playing the drums.