8 Necessary Planner Items for the Organized Person in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Although many of us like to imagine we are organized, or at least we pretend to be, ignoring the chaos in our lives. We all have that one person in our lives who goes above and beyond with their organization. They color code their office supplies and buy an abundance of different writing utensils because they each have their own use. You might even be this person and that’s okay because it means you’re excelling at an area of life many others struggle with. Whether you’re the person who is exceptionally organized, or the person who wants to be exceptionally organized, these eight items to go along with your planner are necessary!

1. Colored Fineliner Pens

One of my favorite things to add to my planner to make it more bright and colorful, especially if I don’t have stickers or a fancy planner is different colored pens! My go-to colored pens are the Staedtler Triplus Fineliners because they don’t bleed through my planner pages that easily and they come in so many colors! You can definitely find other colored fineliner pens for a vary of prices but adding color to any planner can make anyone feel extra organized! (Especially if you use them to color code your entire life!)

2. Sticky Notes – The cuter the better!

Whenever I make plans that aren’t set in stone, i always write them on sticky notes first. It makes it easier to change plans if they move days, or cancel them entirely and you don’t have to white out a large area of your planner! Michael’s sells planner inserts that come with a variety of different types of sticky notes that come in such adorable designs. & with them constantly giving out 40% coupons it makes them such an affordable addition to any planner!

3. Page Flags

Similar to sticky notes, however they can become tabs that pop out of your planner to make it easier to turn to certain dates in your planner. Plus, since they’re from Target they constantly come out with new page flags every season and they last forever!

4. Mini Ruler/Icon Stencil

If you’re like me, and you hate the idea of constantly having to re buy icon stickers – then this item is for you! It’s a mini ruler with stencils for common icons and even some basic planning shapes to use on your daily or weekly layouts! It’s small and compact so you’re able to slide it into any of your planners pockets or a pocket in your purse!

5. Mini Binder Clips

Mini binder clips makes marking large areas of your planner off much easier. It can help clip all the past spreads off so you’re not flipping through pages to get where you want to be. Plus they come in handy when clipped along your planner and you need them for class or to close that bag of sour cream and onion chips you shouldn’t have eaten three quarters of all at once.

6. Pencil Case

A pencil case is such an overlooked necessity for planning. And not a pencil case for your normal BIC pens and mechanical pencils that you’ll lend out to a stranger, a pencil case that’s exclusively for your planning writing utensils. Because let’s all admit it, we all have that favorite pen or pencil and if we ever gave it out and it disappeared forever, we’d cry.

7. Washi Tape

Washi Tape is my personal kryptonite. I have an avid collection of over eighty different rolls of washi tape. It’s the perfect tool for those who don’t buy stickers all the time and also dabble in many other aspects of arts and crafts. Washi Tape has countless uses in more than just the planning world, but it’s incredibly addicting so make sure to keep yourself in check, at least a little more than i have.

8. Planner Pocket

For any planner that god forbid doesn’t come with a pocket, these planner pockets are a perfect addition to hold any business cards or notes that you have loose around your bag! If you’re like me and don’t want to spend money on a planner pocket you can make one yourself with this tutorial!

The best thing about planners is that they give you a chance to be creative while also organizing your life. If you’re like me and you like to procrastinate by decorating everything you own, these eight items will help you jazz up your planner to suit your needs perfectly!

Trips over something at least once a day. Will never love anyone as much as I love my cats. Adorably depressing.
A sociology major with a love for all things Disney. Kayleigh Monahan is an avid reader and writer and can often be found at her local Starbucks. She is the current President of Kappa Delta Phi National Affiliated Sorority at New Paltz as well as the Campus Correspondent for HC SUNY New Paltz.