6 Ways to Survive (And Hopefully Ace) Your Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

How is it already that time of year again? Even though it feels as if the summer has barely ended and you were wearing shorts a couple weeks ago, it’s true… midterms are upon us. So grab your 5-hour Energy (or your caffeinated beverage of choice) and head to the library, where you’ll probably be spending the majority of your time over the next week or so. Thinking about all the work you have to get done is probably overwhelming, so I have put together a list of all our favorite study tips to help you succeed and stay sane during midterms.

1. Start now

Like I said, midterms are right around the corner (you might have already had your first one!) so it is probably a good idea to start hitting the books now. Senior Louise Puma says her best tip for midterms would be “to start studying a week ahead of time.” This way you will avoid the black hole of procrastination as well as last-minute cramming and unnecessary amounts of stress.

2. Step away from social media

Personally, this is the most difficult tip for me to follow…we are the generation that’s addicted to our social media. I’m not saying you have to follow this rule until all your tests are over–let’s face it, that’s impossible. But when you step into the library or wherever you choose to study, turn off your iPhone and put it away. It’s too tempting to reach for it and start scrolling through Instagram or Twitter if your phone is sitting right in front of you. When you need a break from test review, though, by all means visit HerCampus.com or subscribe to our newsletter at hercampus.com/hc-study-break! Limit yourself to taking 10-15 minute intermissions to catch up on Her Campus articles, tweets, etc. and then get back to studying.

3. Speaking of taking breaks…

A huge majority of the collegiettes I asked advised to step away from your notes every so often. Junior Evelyn Mendez recommends the “50/10” rule. “I usually just go to the library, get some coffee, study for about 50 minutes and give myself a 10 minute break, and I usually just do that until I feel confident in the study material,” she says. This way, you won’t drive yourself crazy by studying the same thing over and over, and it will give your mind time to refresh itself. If you are pulling an all-nighter, these short breaks are even more vital to keeping yourself alert. Junior Anna Costanza recommends something we can all probably agree on: taking power naps! “When you get crazy stressed or overwhelmed, shut your computer off and take a 15 minute walk or nap. I’m always more inclined to do work after I let myself take a breath and figure everything out.”

3. Stay healthy

Obviously it is not easy to stay on a regular sleeping and eating schedule when you are cramming for tests and working on projects day in and day out, but it is so important to take care of yourself. You don’t need to completely fall out of your gym routine, either–don’t be afraid to workout whenever your schedule permits. Senior Jessica Restivo says “Sometimes I feel guilty about spending time going to the gym during midterms because it takes away from my time studying, but I’ve actually found that taking a break by working out leaves me more energized and focused while doing my work!” Exercise stimulates brain cell growth, so it actually makes perfect sense to incorporate it into your study schedule. Also, the changing of seasons is the time when everyone is getting sick, and if your immune system is crashing from lack of sleep and poor diet you definitely won’t be able to ace your tests. So eat a lot of protein, fruits and veggies, and keep some vitamin C on hand. And get sleep!

4. Switch it up

It is extremely hard to concentrate and absorb new material when you are always stuck in the same routine. Also, the library can definitely start to feel monotonous after a while. “I like to switch up my study spots so I don’t feel like I’m constantly stuck in the library studying,” says Senior, Jenna Anzalone. Try studying in the Student Union Building (the scholar’s perch has the prettiest view) or in Cafeteria in town, where the comfy couches and delicious coffee are enough to make you excited to review.

5. Grab your headphones

Personally, I absolutely hate studying or doing any kind of work without some type of background noise, besides the people next to you typing away at their computers or shuffling papers. Search for study playlists or make your own with whatever kind of music helps you concentrate. Senior Danielle Bolan says listening to classical music really helps, “specifically a Yiruma playlist on YouTube. It does wonders.” If music distracts you or you would rather just listen to nothing at all, Junior Taylor Morehouse recommends to “use the simplynoise.com website to drown out environmental noises or distractions.” Find what works for you!

6. And if you’re still having trouble concentrating…

“Grab yourself a cup of strong coffee and get into the zone” recommends senior Tiffany Robertson, because honestly, sometimes a ton of caffeine may be the only thing that does the trick!

From the Her Campus New Paltz team, good luck everyone… you’ll kill it!

Emma Koch

New Paltz

Emma is a fourth-year student at SUNY New Paltz, where she is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Business. Born and raised in Upstate New York, Emma now divides her time between school, her hometown, and Houston, TX where her family currently lives. Besides school and internships, as well as being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Emma's other passions include fashion and beauty, health and fitness, trying new recipes, iced coffee, watching netflix with her roomie, online shopping, country music, and her sorority, Sigma Delta Tau. Her dream is to find a career in the Public Relations field where she is able to travel the world and have new experiences doing what she loves. Follow her on Instagram @emmma.koch