5 Things To Do When You’re Home For Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

You may be questioning your decisions right about now, as you sit at home on your couch while all your friends are packing their bags to go on some tropical vacation. Why did I decide to save my money and not go on sprang breaaak? It’s super easy to get serious FOMO if this is the case, but just because you don’t have any trips booked during your time off from school, doesn’t mean you can’t take full advantage of the time off! You have an ENTIRE week with little to no responsibility, and you probably don’t have to do much you don’t want to do. If you’re staying home this spring break, do not make the mistake of letting yourself fall into a rut of naps and Netflix! Take this time to accomplish a few things, and you won’t feel like you wasted your break:

1. Work On Your Fitness Goals

I know we all have them! Summer is right around the corner, believe it or not, and we are all trying to get in our best shape for the warmer weather ahead. Reflect on the goals you have for your health–maybe you made a New Year’s resolution you haven’t completed–and start making steps towards achieving them. Come up with workout plans, find some healthy recipes on Pinterest, and hit the gym! Dragging a friend along with you will make it more fun, too.

2. Plan

Take this time, also, to reflect on your future goals! Are you looking for a summer job or internship? Do some research on job and internship opportunities, update your resume and cover letter, and have some ideas in mind for when it comes time to apply.

3. Spend Time With Friends And Family

Definitely take some time to hang out with your family and the friends from home that you don’t get to see when you’re away at school! This is you chance to catch up with everyone in the middle of the semester and have fun! Go hiking, go to the beach (if you’re near one), take your dog for a long walk, get some ice cream with your siblings, etc.

4. Get Crafty

Cut up some old t-shirts, make cute decorations for your dorm or apartment, get more organized for the rest of the semester, whatever it may be. Pinterest is your new best friend.

5. Relax

With all this being said, breaks from school are also meant as a time to clear your head and take a breather. You just got through all of your midterms, you deserve it! Reward yourself with a spa day, catching up on your favorite netflix series, or sitting down with a good book that you wouldn’t have the time or motivation to read if you were at school.

Enjoy your spring break!

Emma Koch

New Paltz

Emma is a fourth-year student at SUNY New Paltz, where she is majoring in Public Relations with a minor in Business. Born and raised in Upstate New York, Emma now divides her time between school, her hometown, and Houston, TX where her family currently lives. Besides school and internships, as well as being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus, Emma's other passions include fashion and beauty, health and fitness, trying new recipes, iced coffee, watching netflix with her roomie, online shopping, country music, and her sorority, Sigma Delta Tau. Her dream is to find a career in the Public Relations field where she is able to travel the world and have new experiences doing what she loves. Follow her on Instagram @emmma.koch