5 Movies That Are Guaranteed to Make You Ugly Cry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

5. Me Before You

A very cheesy movie with a very serious storyline. Tissues are necessary and a lot of them! Plus Sam Claflin’s acting alone makes me want to cry some ugly tears.

4. The Fault in Our Stars

Of course I had to include this movie, but it gets me every time. The way that Augustus and Hazel find each other and then are ripped from each other really hits me hard.

3. Cyberbully

It was a made-for-TV movie, but it was so powerful. Even today I can’t listen to Sia’s Breathe Me without breaking down. This movie taught me a huge lesson, and even though it had its faults it will never fail to warn people of the dangers of cyberbullying.

2. The Notebook

Very stereotypical of me, I know. But what can I say? The romance was amazing, but the most heart-wrenching part for me was watching Noah and Allie interact in their old age, given Allie’s dementia. It really hits home.

1. If I Stay

I don’t quite know what it is about this movie, but I become a wreck watching it. It’s incredibly emotional, and the scene with her grandfather puts me over the edge. I watched this with my best friend and it was quite a sight to see in my living room with the tissues and us bawling on the couch, wrapped up in each other’s arms! But I digress. The movie has such powerful themes of à family’s bond and dealing with intense, unexpected grief. In short, if you need an ugly cry and a broken heart, this will do it.

Shyana is a freshman majoring in Journalism at SUNY New Paltz. Along with HerCampus, she is also active in Relay for Life and the Honors Program. She has an unhealthy obsession with a lot of things, including Netflix, HGTV, anything Disney, Pumpkin Spice, and country music. Her dream is to become a successful magazine writer in either fashion or lifestyle, where she is able to live by the ocean and be close to her family.