This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Day 9: My friendship with Olive

(Yes, this is Alli/Melinda Shankar & Jenna/Jessica Tyler from Degrassi. Me & Olive don’t have pictures together yet so this will do.)

O.H., Our friendship, to say the least, is warming. I don’t think I’ve ever had a friend like before. We’re so different, not including the obvious racial differences (she is White and I am Black). But at the same time, we’re so similar. We both love anime, mythology, dark colors, art, Japanese culture, tea, and have the tendency to be a bit pessimistic. She is very loyal, and she knows I’ll never leave her side. She puts up with me when I’m having one of my episodes, she always asks me if I ate (and will feed me if I haven’t), she keeps me up to date on the latest anime/manga, and deep down, she’s a sweetheart. Well, a sweetheart with a love for weapons. I love her, I really do. She makes me incredibly happy. She’s my best friend, my closest friend on campus. We’ve been friends since freshmen year ’15 in Lenape and I hope we go many more. <3

From your pal, Jai.

Tune in tomorrow for the next day! Write your friend a message today & tell them how much you appreciate them!

Call me Jai [which rhymes with 'hi']! I'm currently a student at SUNY New Paltz, majoring in Communication Disorders and minoring in Deaf Studies. I'm a huge fan of horror movies, comic books, and Harry Potter. I've been writing since I was young, and I specialize in spoken word and short stories. I am originally from Brooklyn, but have lived in a variety of states over the years. I love music (anything in the alternative rock/pop punk/rap & hip-hop genre is my jam). I aspire to be either a Teacher of the Deaf or speech-language pathologist in a school, after I get that Master's, of course (and possibly my PhD). I also want to be an advocate for mental health in the Black community, speaking out for those who do not have a voice. Writing novels like Stephen King and J.K. Rowling in the future is just a side job :)