This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Day 10: Can’t live without: Harry Potter

I already know what you’re thinking.  “What the heck? Harry Potter?” Yes, Harry Potter.

Let’s start off with how Harry and I came to be: it was the 7th grade. My grade was having a reading contest: every book in the library was on a point system. Whoever accumulated the most points won (you got points by finishing the book). Me, being an excellent reader, decided that my first book should be worth a ton of points. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was worth 44 points, and I had to have it. It took me 4 days to read that book. When I realized it was a series, I went back and read the others. It was love at first word.

Harry Potter means a lot to me because it came to me at a time when I was trying to figure myself out – I was the nerd kid who read way too many books, never spoke too loud, and only had one other friend (bless your heart, Ken). While reading, I resonated with Hermione on a deep level. I saw myself in her, I connected with her. Today, I am proudly the Hermione of my friend group, and will never be ashamed of it. I used to be afraid that I was too nerdy, that I would never blossom or break out of my shell. But watching Hermione grow into this strong young woman pushed me to do so as well.

I guess it’s more appropriate to say I can’t live without Hermione Granger – because she is me.

Call me Jai [which rhymes with 'hi']! I'm currently a student at SUNY New Paltz, majoring in Communication Disorders and minoring in Deaf Studies. I'm a huge fan of horror movies, comic books, and Harry Potter. I've been writing since I was young, and I specialize in spoken word and short stories. I am originally from Brooklyn, but have lived in a variety of states over the years. I love music (anything in the alternative rock/pop punk/rap & hip-hop genre is my jam). I aspire to be either a Teacher of the Deaf or speech-language pathologist in a school, after I get that Master's, of course (and possibly my PhD). I also want to be an advocate for mental health in the Black community, speaking out for those who do not have a voice. Writing novels like Stephen King and J.K. Rowling in the future is just a side job :)