10 Struggles Of Being A Commuter Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

1. Waking up earlier than your class time

You can’t just roll out of your room and walk across campus to class. Now that you’re a commuter student you have to probably walk more or travel a longer distance to get onto campus.

2. Relying heavily on transportation

You’re putting your faith that the bus is going to come on time or you won’t hit traffic turning off the Thruway onto Main Street. Once you’re on the train/bus, you hope it runs smoothly. Transportation just became your life line.

3. Explaining to people that you commute from the city 

People look at you in shock and pity as if they are the ones doing the commute every day. You have to continue answering the same questions and getting judgemental head shakes.Yes it is something that happens!

4. Listening to professors assume that everyone is captable of going to events/programs on campus 

It’s impossible to attend every event on campus. The time it will take you to get home afterwards, no thank you!

5. Asking your friends if you can stay at their house/dorm 

You don’t want to continue to ask them and have them be annoyed…even though they won’t be.

6. Planning your commute around the weather and big events 

One mention of an upcoming snowstorm or a big parade near you house and you’re forced to make the decision whether or not you want to risk traveling.

7. Finally getting to campus to find out your class has been cancelled

You took the long commute to get there and now you have to take the long commute back home all because you didn’t check your email.

8. Spending money instead of dining dollars like all the other students

When you realize how expensive some of the food on campus is because you no longer have dining dollars. So now you’re careful to only pay where it counts; aka goodbye to the spontaneous Mexicali trips!

9. Finding a place to study or do homework

Since the library is a drive or long walk away, you have to find a spot in your house that’s quiet and comfortable to get work done.

10. Interacting with friends and classmates out of class

Being that you try to make the trip to campus as few times in a week as possible, you pack out your days with classes. After a long day, you just want to head home and sleep. It’s hard to find time to plan things when you’re far from campus.

There are struggles in being a commuter student, but there’s also benefits. At the end of the day, do what’s best for you!

Chelsea is a fourth-year journalism major with a minor in creative writing. She is currently a contributing writer on the Her Campus New Paltz chapter. She's also on the social media team to keep readers updated on stories created by the SUNY New Paltz Aside from Her Campus, she's a blogger for CollegeFashionista. Chelsea is hoping to continue to be more involved on SUNY New Paltz despite being a commuter from New York City. Other than writing, she loves to read, travel, pop culture, fashion and social media! Follow her on instagram @thesocialrundown!