10 Essential Life Lessons Disney’s Hercules Taught Us

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Paltz chapter.

Hercules was the movie that began my deep-seeded obsession with God-like bodies on guys, Roman mythology, and hopeless/dramatic love stories. However, it was also a movie that looking back, gave me an abundance of life lessons I didn’t appreciate until I re-watched it a couple (5) times on Netflix. It’s a long list that includes but is not limited to the following…

1. You’re childhood pet will be your life-long best friend, sidekick, and shoulder to cry on.

Sure they shed everywhere and make you feel guilty about leaving them behind for college. But you know they’ll always love you no matter what. 

2. Managing your emotions is key.

It’s not easy trying to keep your sh*t together. Especially in college. When there’s exams. And you’re under caffeinated. And you need sleep. And your SO is acting sketch. And your group for your group project is MIA. And suddenly you feel like you might implode or explode or BOTH! *takes deep breathe* 

3. Reaching your goals requires hard work, and good friends will always be there to motivate you.

It isn’t always easy to stick to your goals, *cough, cough, the gym*, but it always helps to have someone to motivate you throughout the way. Goals are hard to keep, but the gratification they bring is totally worth it. 

4. Nothing beats being independent and self-sufficient. (Kind of.)

College is about finding yourself. It’s also like the test run for becoming a functional member of society. You have to remember to feed yourself, do laundry, wake up on time, and eventually pay bills, cook, and clean. All of which are essential building blocks for successful adulthood. *shivers*

5. It’s important to be ambitious.

Ambition is (hopefully) the reason you’re in college. It’s important to be confident in yourself, and to set high expectations (demi-God anyone?).

But…

6. It’s also important to follow your heart. 

7. Be cautious of who you give your heart.

Guys can be ruthless, and nothing hurts worse than your first heartbreak. It’s important to give love, but not all of yourself. Just remember Meg’s story, don’t sell your soul to Hades for a guy okay?! He’ll run away with the first bimbo who catches his eye.

8. BUT. That being said, don’t close yourself off from the possibility of a great love. 

Falling for someone can be hard. It can be scary, especially if you’ve experienced horrible heartbreak (refer to number 7). However, if you’re lucky enough to find a sweet, dorky, and caring guy, don’t let your fears keep you from a great love story – even if it doesn’t last forever. (Or even if he doesn’t swim thru the underworld to save you from eternal damnation). You get my point. 

9. Also, appreciate the little things. 

10. And finally, be assertive!

You are a strong, independent woman, and you should wear the pants in the relationship whenever you freaking want!

Okay, okay, sorry, Meg and Herc tangent, I’m done I promise!

100% Colombian. My hobbies include eating buffalo wings, doing yoga and binge watching Netflix.