Why Your College Friends are Your Lifelong Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Before coming to college, I thought that I would never make friends like the ones from back home. We had all made so many memories together. From football games, to proms, to bonfires…these people were there with me through it all. I didn’t think it was possible to form a greater bond than the friendships I had with my hometown friends. Everyone that was older than me was so quick to say, “oh, you’ll forget about your friends after high school.” I always swore to myself that this wouldn’t happen to me.

And then I went to college.

I was lucky. I didn’t have to go through much trouble to find my friend group here at UNH. We all just instantly clicked from the moment we met at SOAR. And here I am, a year later, with the most amazing friends that I could ever ask for. Here are just some of the reasons how you know that you’ve found friends that’ll stick with you for the rest of your life!

1. They bring you chocolate cake when you’re sad over a boy

Even though you said you didn’t want any, they’ll still bring you some anyways.

2. They walk to Bartels with you even when they’ve already eaten.

Come on…only a best friend would go there more than they have to.

3. Their closets are your closets.

And when you’re home on breaks, you’re completely lost without the wide range of variety.

4. Privacy is never a problem.

You can say or do anything around them and somehow they don’t ever get grossed out.

5. They help you with your school work.

I swear they’ve taught me more math than math zone ever could.

6. They’re just a broke as you are.

“Wanna go out tonight?” “Nah we can’t afford that”.

7. And they’re just as stressed out as you are.

Mental breakdowns are a weekly thing.

8. You all motivate each other.

“Go talk to him!” “Get your butt up, we’re going to the gym” “You seriously need to do your homework”.

9. You are always guaranteed a good morning text.

The group chat is always blowing up with “have a good day” bitmojis, there’s no better way to start a day of classes than waking up to that!

10. They love you despite your weird habits.

They don’t question why you’re eating baby carrots for breakfast.

11. And most of all, they’ve taught you more about yourself than any class ever could.

The friends I’ve made in college are the most genuine friends that I could ask for. They’ve seen me at my worst, and still somehow see the best in me. In such a short amount of time, we became our own little family. The college experience is definitely what brought us close and these girls make me thankful every day that I picked UNH for our four crazy years together!

Hi! My name's Kristen and I'm a sophomore at the University of New Haven. I'm currently studying nothing in particular because I'm the most indecisive person you'll ever meet. However, I'm on the pursuit of finding my niche and learning more about myself. I'm from New Hampshire and I love exploring new places, especially if they're outside!  I'm a lover of coffee, black clothes, and cheesy jokes.  Oh and I like to write too!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!