freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks r oV6smBBYk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

“When I Fell in Love:” A Compilation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

February is my favorite month, not just because it’s my birthday month, but because I love seeing other people in love, and I love hearing about people being in love. For this Valentines Day, I decided to ask people when they knew they were in love with their significant other. Get some tissues because these responses are seriously sweet!

•  “When we were 4 ;) But seriously, it only took two months of dating and I just knew! I even said after our first date that he could be the one!”

-Heather, age 33

• “When I first met her.”

-Jared, age 18

• “There was no point, it was everyday; how he would make me feel, how I could just look at him, and know deep down inside that I was in love, that I wanted to face the world with him, have adventures, arguments, but just experience life together. When you’re in love, you fall in love with your significant other every day.”

-Amanda, age 18

• “It was a moment pretty early on when we were just texting back and forth, 900 miles away, with a huge smile on my face, that I realized I missed him when I wasn’t talking to him, and that a text from him was the thing I looked forward to most in my day. I knew then that I loved him, and then had to hold it in for an extra month until I could tell him in person again. I knew I was in love with him when I saw him interacting with my family for the first time (he came home with me for Christmas). I knew I was fantastically in love because I was beaming to introduce him, and because I am proud to have him on my arm.”

-Kelsey, age 21

• “I used to get a funny feeling in my stomach. They call in butterflies…but it actually happened to me.”

​         -Dianne, age 66

• “I knew Jamie for fifteen years, but we always dated other people. I always thought he was a good guy. When we started hanging out again, I just knew this was it.”

-Lisa, age 39

• “There were little moments that built up over time that lead to me loving her. But when you know, it hits you like a ton of bricks, and you want to tell them right then and there.”

-Ryan, age 23

• “I was sitting with him on a park bench, and he was really upset and crying over something. Just seeing him like that and realizing I didn’t want anybody to hurt him made me realize how much I loved him.”

-Kylie, age 21

• “The first time he made me laugh. We were going on a hike for our first time, and he made me laugh so hard I almost had to stop and take a moment to breathe. Been with the old ball n’ chain ever since!”

-Hannah, age 19

• “The initial meeting/spark was “love at first sight,” but I knew I was IN love with her after a few weeks of dating her.”

-Stephen, age 21

• “I knew I was in love when I realized I trusted him with my whole life. I wasn’t afraid to tell him anything. Coming from a girl with several abusive relationships, trust is hard, but when he earned mine, I knew I was in trouble. And by trouble I mean I had truly fallen in love. I looked forward to seeing him every chance I got. I wanted to tell him all the good and all the bad about my day. He was the first one I thought about when I woke up. That’s when I knew, this is true love.”

-Lauren, age 21

• I fell in love the first night I stayed over his house. I forgot my toothbrush, and he searched the house, found one, and gave it to me just because it was something I didn’t have, and I’d never had someone go out of their way to take care of me just because. We didn’t start dating until later, but I always said the time we brushed our teeth together the first night I stayed was when I realized I loved him.”

-Alyssa, age 21

• “I wish I could say that it was love at first sight, and that I knew the moment I laid eyes on him that we would be together forever—but it wasn’t like that at all, which is really special considering every other boy that I’ve ever liked, I “fell in love” almost instantly. But, being in this relationship now, I see how some true love really grows over time. In the beginning, I liked him and found him interesting and decided I wanted to pursue him, however I not once ever thought that I was in love, nor ever thought I would be. But as I grew, he grew with me, and our love for each other grew as well. The more I learned about him, the more I loved him. The more time we spent with one another, the moment I met his family, the first time we were away from each other—those are the moments I can really pinpoint as when I fell in love. So, even though I used to think true love had to be love at first sight and that there had to be one defining moment for the feelings, I disagree with that now. I think love is a puzzle, and like all puzzles, there are pieces to put it together. So, falling in love is the same way—there are many pieces, and moments, and memories you have share together to fall in love. (Or at least that’s what it was for me!!) I knew I was in love when there were times that I actually had to stop myself from blurting out “I love you”, and this went on for a few weeks where we would just be hanging out and I would be so close to saying it without even realizing. And then sure enough he said it after those few weeks went by and that’s when I knew we had all of our pieces to the puzzle together.”

-Emily, age 21

• “I’d say I knew in this random moment. I was just looking at him, and I realized that I’d never felt safer, or more myself than when I was with him. But, at the same time, I’d never felt more challenged to be a better me or to work harder. So it was kind of odd, but I think that’s part of love– being safe and yourself, but also working to always improve and just having someone who loves you while encouraging you to always be your best.”

-Christine, age 20

• “I realized I was in love with my boyfriend when I would have thoughts about if he was with someone else and I realized I never wanted that to happen. Also that every time I look at him the first thing I do is smile.”

-Courtney, age 20

• “Well, my ex and I broke up, but I knew I was in love when I got really sick at the hospital, and he stayed the whole night and held my hand for hours, and then drove my mom and I home because my other family members left, and then he carried me inside all when he had to work an hour later.”

-Kassandra, age 20

• “I really started liking him when we first met; I would say love at first sight. However, it gets solidified everyday especially when I haven’t seen him in almost a month, and we have to get creative with our communication.”

-Tori, age 20

• “I knew almost two months into the relationship after spending a lot of time and having so many fun plans for the near and distant future to look forward to. We’d known each other for a little over a year before we started dating, and we’ve been lucky enough to spend a lot of time together, and it was around Christmas that I realized that I saw him as a best friend and a boyfriend, and couldn’t imagine not having him as a partner any time soon.”

-Haley, age 19

• “I can’t pinpoint an exact moment, it just happened over time.”

-Lindsay, age 20

• “I knew I was in love with my husband when we’d go out & I couldn’t focus on anything but him. No muscles, or nice eyes, or nice tall men mattered… Nothing but my guy. First time that had happened for me.”

-Erin, age 30

• “The first time I fell in love with Louie, we were in his car driving on the back roads through the mountains where we live. I remember sinking into the warmth of the seat heaters that he always turned on for me before picking me up, feeling exceedingly relaxed as I took off my shoes and curled up in the seat. He had one hand on the wheel and the other resting in my lap, while I was running my fingers through his hair. The car smelled of him, which was soothing to me, and he was playing an album from our favorite duo. I realized that I would be completely contented if I were able to exist in that moment with him for the rest of my life.”

-Erica, age 20

• “For me personally, I’ve fallen in love with Erica so many times that I can’t remember the first time I fell in love with her. Every time is like the first time. A couple of weeks ago, we were just driving around at 1 in the morning and we ended up in an area with no light pollution, therefore a lot of stars were visible. We stopped and just watched, and before we knew it there was a shooting star. That was the first shooting star she had ever seen and her reaction and the way she lit up was just pure joy and I just fell in love with her in that moment. We stayed out until 3:30 a.m., just watching shooting stars. We saw 22 of them that night. I fell in love with her 22 times over that night. That’s what I love about our love. It’s constantly evolving and I keep falling in love with that girl.”

-Louie, age 21

• “I have been with Curtis for almost two and a half years now, and I think I knew I loved him a little over a year we made our relationship official. I was super stressed with nursing finals, and while I was studying in the library, he snuck into my room and left roses and a note telling me that I could do anything and that he was so proud of me. Of course, I melted into tears when I realized that he cared about me so much, and it just solidified my feelings for him!”

-Sammie, age 20

• “I knew I was in love with my past significant other because I just got a feeling while being together and couldn’t hold it in any longer. I knew it was love and knew I had to tell him. It was a feeling I never felt before!”

-Jessica, age 20

• “I knew that I was in love with my significant other when he first laughed at a joke I made. You know you love someone when their laugh is the most beautiful thing you’ve ever heard. Plus he thought I was funny so that was a bonus!”

-Meaghan, age 21

Nearly every girl imagines what it’s like to fall in love with her Prince Charming and live happily ever after. I know I’ve been there, but I’d always been a bit of a late bloomer when it came to relationships. It got to a point where I didn’t think I’d ever actually find anyone who would fall in love with me and vice versa, but to end this article, here’s my own story of when I found love at age 20.

This is my first time ever writing out my story about how I knew I loved him. To begin with, he’s the first guy I’ve ever been in a serious relationship with, so I was absolutely terrified, but I was also a huge “love” skeptic. I believed love existed, but I guess I just didn’t think I’d actually find it. There are two moments that I really knew, and they both happened in the span of a few days. The first time was when he came to visit me at school during my finals week. I was extremely stressed, tired, and cranky, but he took me out to dinner. While he was driving, he got super excited, and shouted, “Did you just see that?!” Of course, I hadn’t because I was too busy looking at him, but he explained that there was a shooting star. Just seeing him get so giddy and excited over that completely melted my heart. A few days later, I went to visit him at his school, and it was the last time I was going to be seeing him for a while. We were standing there in the parking lot, trying to say goodbye to each other, and it was so insanely difficult to do so because I wasn’t sure when I’d see him again. I thought about how much I was going to miss him, and right then and there, it hit me like a ton of bricks, and I wanted to tell him at that moment. Although, I waited another month to say it until he said it first, and hearing those words leave his mouth just made me realize how much I really, truly do love him. Every time I look at him, I’m just filled with such happiness and so much love, and I know this is real.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!