This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

It’s clear that the results of the 2016 Presidential election have a lot of people terrified and fearing the future of our country. The results showed us that America is a divided nation, but in order to still progress change we cannot give up on it. Losing hope is easy and will happen, but keep a glimmer of light and know that the answer is to continuing fighting for change and democracy, and not to go running off to Canada.

“Our campaign was never about one person, or even one election. It was about the country we love and building an America that is hopeful, inclusive, and big-hearted. We have seen that our nation is more deeply divided than we thought. But I still believe in America, and I always will. And if you do, then we must accept this result and look to the future.” –Hillary Clinton

America will still continue to grow because it has to, and it is up to the American people to create a better nation for ourselves. If we fight together, and protect each other, we will prevail. We do have to accept the results, and looking to the future and refusing to see nothing but bad will not change America. We need to strive for the promising and morally fair nation that America can be!

“I’ve had successes and setbacks and sometimes painful ones. Many of you are at the beginning of your professional, public, and political careers – you will have successes and setbacks too. This lost hurts, but please never stop believing that fighting for what’s right is worth it.” –Hillary Clinton

This speaks to young Americans, especially college aged students, about our lives and the kind of mindset we need to have. If we let every loss bring us down, we will have less motivation to continue on pursuing our dreams. In order to make a difference in the real world, we must stay true to ourselves. Be confident. Be positive. Keep moving forward.

“Now, I know we have still not shattered that highest and hardest glass ceiling, but someday someone will, and hopefully sooner than we might think right now. And to all the little girls who are watching this, never doubt that you are valuable and powerful and deserving of every chance and opportunity in the world to pursue and achieve your own dreams.” –Hillary Clinton

Young women must still continue the fight for equality and not doubt that one day it can be achieved. She may not have won, but by being nominee and a candidate, Hillary made history. Her words and actions should give all little girls, and adult women, hope that they can achieve the highest level of whatever it is that they are passionate about doing in life.

“My friends, let us have faith in each other, let us not grow weary and lose heart, for there are more seasons to come and there is more work to do.” –Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton’s concession speech definitely gave hope to Americans, and I hope that her words can be taken as guidance and incentive. America can make it through if we do not let the light flicker. Americans must stay strong and know that now is the time to act, not hide. Never give up on yourself, and use your mind to make a difference. Go out and show the world that you are a beam of light that has the power to shine through the clouds!

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!