nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Nine Things All Retail Employees Want You to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

As a hard worker in retail, there is a lot going through our minds when dealing with customers.  Throughout that 9-hour shift, there is not a second that goes by when I’m not wishing I was one of the stock employees hiding in the back, away from the public.  After handling the nicest of people, to the worst (but mostly the worst), without further ado, here are the recurring thoughts that go through the minds of cashiers, managers, and sales associates all around!

1. WE ALREADY KNOW HOW SLOW THE FREAKIN CHIP IS.

I just had to include this first. Working at a store that requires a chip for payment, I have to hear over 10,000 times a DAY how slow the chip is. At this point, I can’t come up with a response other than “yeah,” or “I know, it’s awful,” or “no, sir/ma’am, you have to leave the chip in!”

2. Leave your attitude at the door.

When you’re being difficult because you saw a euro sign instead of a dollar sign on the price tag, we’re imagining ourselves punching you in the face. Of course, we won’t actually do that since, ya know, we get fired for that.

3. Just because we can’t talk back to you, doesn’t mean we don’t want to.

You don’t understand how much I would love to tell you to go “love” yourself. However, we are professional and we expect you to be the same with us.

4. If the manager could do something to help you, they would have already.

Please stop making a scene because we will not put you above any other customer in the store. Call corporate if you want, but they will just tell you the same exact thing that my manager and I just did.

5. KEEP THE DAMN RECEIPT.

Because again, we will not give you any special treatment. You people do not write our paychecks. Therefore, we are under no obligation to do any extra favors for you. Keep the receipt, or we cannot process your return.

6. Get off your phone.

Unless it is a life or death call, there really is no need to be on your phone while we’re helping you, it’s just plain rude.

7. When you see we are busy, please don’t interrupt us.

Unless we’re the only person available, please wait for us to finish with the customers we’re currently helping so that we can give you our full undivided attention.

8. Say thank you.

Again, it’s just plain rude to not say thanks after we’ve helped you out. It’s almost like not tipping your waiter after they serve you.

9. When the store is closing and you’re still shopping….LEAVE.

We are people too who just want to go home after a long day of dealing with strangers. When we are trying to close up, please don’t make us stay any longer than we have to.

To the people unlike the ones I’ve previously described above, thank you.  Those few wonderful people who don’t make us hate them during our 5 minutes of interaction mean more than you think. You keep us going throughout the day!

Hi! My name is Taylor and I am a Business Management major with a double minor in Marketing and Psychology. I'm originally from Brooklyn but then moved to East Meadow, NY, on Long Island. I am the President of the American Marketing Association on campus and I was an intern and then worked my way up to retail operations for the NY Islanders Hockey Club before their big move to Brooklyn. A fun fact about me would be that I used to run track and cross country throughout all of high school and I've completed a half marathon in approximately 1 hour and 42 minutes!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!