Meet Michaela!

Name: Michaela Guila Pietrangeli

Nickname: Mckay or Micake

Year: Sophomore

Major: Pre Medical

Relationship status: I’ve been in a relationship for 4 years.

Instagram: @MichaelaPietrangeli

HC: What are you involved with here at UNH?

Michaela: I am the public relations manager of the University of New Haven Love Your Melon (LYM) crew.

HC: Can you tell us what LYM exactly is?

Michaela: It is an apparel brand that was started by two college students in Minnesota. The goal is to donate a hat to every child battling cancer in America. 50% of the net proceeds goes to our partnering organizations like CureSearch, Pinky Swear Promise, and Be the Match.

HC: Can you give us some more info on the beanies?

Michaela: You can buy the beanies on www.loveyourmelon.com for $30. They are made in the USA. There are releases every Monday for new colors! They make perfect holiday gifts and stocking stuffers. They are truly a gift that gives back. Make sure you click University of New Haven at check out!

HC: How has LYM impacted your life?

Michaela: It has inspired me to hopefully go into pediatric oncology as a med student. It is a life changing experience to be able to meet these children face to face and be able to see them smile. It really warms my heart.

HC: What was the most rewarding moment you’ve experienced from LYM?

Michaela: Our crew hosted a super hero adventure for 5-year-old Christian, who is battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. We spent the entire day with him doing fun activities such as watching the UNH football game, experiencing a real fire truck, and a long tabled lunch. It was a day that Christians family and I will never forget.

HC: What would you say to someone who’s thinking about joining the LYM crew?

Michaela: You do not want to miss out on a once in a lifetime opportunity like this one. Knowing you’re making a difference in the life of a child every single day is the most rewarding feeling ever.

Please follow @newhavenlymcrew on Twitter and Instagram!

Like them on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/newhavenlymcrew