Meet Kiera Terrell ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Her Campus New Haven had the pleasure to interview the star of the UNH Theater Department’s Production “Psycho Beach Party,” Kiera Terrell!  After her captivating performance as the protagonist, Chicklet, she had received a nomination for the Irene Ryan Acting Award at this year’s Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF).

Name: Kiera Terrell

Hometown: Port Jeff Station, NY

Year: Junior

Major: English and Theater Performance Pre-Education

HC: Aside from your involvement with the Theater Department, what else are you involved with on campus?

Kiera: I work in Undergraduate Admissions and as a peer-writing tutor. I am a sister of Alpha Sigma Alpha, the treasurer of Sigma Tau Delta, and a member of the Future Teachers Club.

HC: If any, what other roles have you played in UNH productions?

Kiera: I played Wendla in Spring Awakening, and Georgette in The School for Wives.

HC: Tell our readers a little about the Irene Ryan Acting Award!

Kiera: Universities across the nation participate in The Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival. A university can submit a production to participate in the festival, and a representative from KCACTF comes to see the show and give feedback to the cast and crew. From there, the representative nominates cast and crew members to attend the regional festival to participate in workshops and compete for scholarships and awards. There are awards for all aspects of production; the Irene Ryan Award is specifically for acting. I have been an alternate nominee twice. I am so honored and excited to be a competing nominee this year.

Photo by C. Washington Photography 

HC: What are your biggest future goals and aspirations?

Kiera: My dream is to perform on Broadway, although I am open minded to wherever performing takes me. Every opportunity I have to perform reinforces my passion for theater and teaches me something new. I would also like to incorporate my passion for teaching and English into a career.

HC: Who/what has helped you get to where you are now?

Kiera: I don’t think I would be where I am today without the love and support of my family and friends. The faculty in the theater department at UNH has also greatly influenced me in such a positive way. I am so thankful to have such a strong support system.

The production takes place circa early 1960’s with Chicklet Forrest, a teenage tomboy, who desperately wants to be part of the surf crowd on Malibu Beach. What’s getting in her way is her unfortunate tendency towards her split personalities. Among them is a black check out girl named Tylene, an elderly radio talk show hostess, Rose Mayer, and a male model named Steve. Her most dangerous alter ego is a sexually voracious vixen named Ann Bowman, who has nothing less than world domination on her mind.

Well done, Kiera, we’re wishing you the best of luck in all of your future endeavors!

Hi! My name is Taylor and I am a Business Management major with a double minor in Marketing and Psychology. I'm originally from Brooklyn but then moved to East Meadow, NY, on Long Island. I am the President of the American Marketing Association on campus and I was an intern and then worked my way up to retail operations for the NY Islanders Hockey Club before their big move to Brooklyn. A fun fact about me would be that I used to run track and cross country throughout all of high school and I've completed a half marathon in approximately 1 hour and 42 minutes!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!