Meet the Greeks: Special Interest Edition

This week we talked with the presidents of each Special Interest Greek organization to learn more about them and their organizations!

Name: Ashley McKernan 

Year: Senior 

Major: Forensic Science with a concentration in chemistry 

Other involvement on campus: Victimology club, American Chemical Society

Her Campus: What do you hope to accomplish after college? 

Ashley: Stay in New Haven, go to grad school, here at UNH, and become a forensic technician.

HC: What has been your most impacting moment on campus? 

Ashley: Founding then recruiting for Alpha Sigma Kappa, and seeing the organization come together.

Organization: Alpha Sigma Kappa 

Colors: Royal blue, white, silver 

Mascot: Lioness

HC: What is Alpha Sigma Kappa? 

Ashley: Alpha Sigma Kappa is a social sorority that only accepts women of STEM sciences, empowering women in sciences giving overall friendship. 

HC: What is Alpha Sigma Kappa’s philanthropy? 

Ashley: DonorsChoose.org, and fundraising for any school in need of supplies or support. 

HC: Anything else about Alpha Sigma Kappa you would like the readers to know? 

Ashley: Everyone in it is genuine.  Alpha Sigma Kappa broke off from a fraternity of engineers, and was founded by sisters of the triangle to form Alpha Sigma Kappa.  

Name: Sebika Mazumdar 

Year: Senior 

Major: Criminal Justice with a concentration in international justice and security, Political Science, and a minor in Arabic.

Her Campus: What else are you involved with on campus? 

Sebika: ROTC, Resident assistant, martial arts club.

HC: What motivation did you have for joining ROTC? 

Sebika: I always wanted to be in the military since I saw 9/11 happen, and it is a really good program.

Organization: Alpha Phi Omega 

Colors: Royal Blue, Old Glory Gold 

Mascot: Golden Eagle

HC: What is Alpha Phi Omega? 

Sebika: Alpha Phi Omega is a National co-ed service based organization.  It develops leaders through community service.  I love it for the service, history, and values behind it. 

HC: What is your philanthropy? 

Sebika: Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and The Boys and Girls Club, both of which encourage varied service projects. 

HC: Anything else about Alpha Phi Omega you would like our readers to know? 

Sebika: It’s a great group of people.  It was started by Neil Patrick Harris, and is run by volunteers nationally.