Meet the Greeks: Inter Fraternal Council Edition‬

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

We sat down with the presidents of each IFC organization to learn more about them and their fraternity!

Name: Connor D’Alfonso‪From: New Britain, ConnecticutYear: JuniorMajor: Finance, minor in Accounting‪Position: Kappa Gamma Rho President

What made you want to take on the role as president of KGR?D’Alfonso: I have always been a leader, and felt that I had a lot of experience to bring to the table for Kappa Gamma Rho. Running a local fraternity is like a business, and being a student of the college of business, this is a way for me to apply what I learn to something, which shows me the value of what I am learning.

How do you feel have you personally benefitted from your involvement with KGR?D’Alfonso: I feel I have gained many great qualities from being involved with Kappa Gamma Rho. I have learned many leadership skills I can carry forward into the real world.  Aside from that I have been able to meet some great friends, do a lot of community service, and see how great it feels to help others.

How do you manage to keep a steady balance between your campus involvement and your school work?D’Alfonso: This is the hardest part of my college career, to be honest. I’m busy on campus, always doing homework, and when I’m not doing that I work about 25 hours a week. I like staying busy though, and without all of the tasks on my plate, I probably would not be able to accomplish everything, as strange as it may sound. Since I live off campus, I spend most of my time between classes in the library, which never hurts!

Kappa Gamma RhoPhilanthropy: Our philanthropy is Alliance for Lupus; we try to help them in any way possible. A few weeks ago, we helped set up and run a walk with them at the beaches in West Haven. We’re also selling bracelets to fundraise for them, and are looking to do another fundraiser called Locked Up For Lupus at an event of ours coming soon, where you pay to put your friends in our purple jail cell and the only way out is if they get people to pay their bail!Mascot: Our mascot is our Brother Huffer, he is a buck that’s been a brother of our fraternity since our founders started our organization.‪Colors: Hunter green, Red, and Gold.Biggest On-Campus Event: Historically, it’s always been SAY WHAT?! KARAOKE. We’re also starting a huge event this year in conjunction with the turkey trot called Kappa Gamma Rho’s Gobble til’ you Wobble!

Name: Michael “Wolf” LombardFrom: Wolcott, CTYear: SeniorMajor: Sports ManagementPosition: Sigma Alpha Epsilon President

How did you get the nickname, Wolf?Lombard: I got my nickname because at the first interest meeting for lacrosse my freshmen year, I had the Hugh Jackman Wolverine chops as facial hair. 

How do you feel your experience from being in the United States Marine Corps shaped you into who you are today?Lombard: Who I am today is a leader, with high durability, a lot of patience, and someone who has experienced true loss. Volunteering to join the military at 17, I had no idea what it meant to serve, now I do know, which is why not only military service matters to me, but so does community service, and philanthropic service. Without the Marine Corps, I would not be the person I am today.

What are your plans for after you graduate?Lombard: Go to work. Although I had a great internship at Yale Conferences and Events over the summer of 2015, I need to go out and get job experience. I have been very pro-active and the opportunities for military veterans, especially veterans who want to get into business are very good. By this time next year I may be in Stamford, or maybe I’ll be in Texas. I’m not sure, but what I do know is I will be working, and working hard.

Sigma Alpha EpsilonPhilanthropy: Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s National philanthropy is the Children’s Miracle Network. However, we do service and raise money for several others including the Stonington Historical Society, California Breast Cancer Research, Wounded Warrior Project, and the Special Olympics.Mascot: A lion, also the Greek Goddess, Minerva.Colors: Royal Purple & Old GoldBiggest On-Campus Event: The Swimsuit Sprint has the highest attendance out of all of our events.

Name: Mark SylvesterFrom: Netcong, NJYear: SeniorMajor: Fire Science and Criminal JusticePosition: Sigma Chi President

What were your biggest lessons learned as president of Sigma Chi?Sylvester: So far, I have really learned how important it is to offer support to other executive members, committee heads, and all brothers. It is important that the president of any organization is approachable. Whether it deals with business or personal issues, my brothers always know that I will make time to talk to them and offer any advice or help I can.  I have also learned a lot more about how to delegate and trust other people with tasks.  When you delegate or assign tasks to specific members, it shows them that you trust them to get the job done.   

What are you plans for the future?Sylvester:  After graduation, I plan on going back and working in New Jersey.  I am looking to find a career as a Fire Marshal or a Fire Investigator. I have already begun my job search and am hoping to get an offer prior to graduation.  I also plan on staying involved in Sigma Chi, no matter where I live. There are 152 Alumni Chapters across the country that I could stay active with and many other ways that I can stay involved with the fraternity as a whole as an advisor or workshop facilitator.  

What ideas have you brought to the table for Sigma Chi?Sylvester: I was installed as the President in early last May. The first thing I wanted to do as President was finding a way to get our Alumni Brothers more involved.  With the help of the chapter’s executive committee, a new Alumni Advisory Board was created and put in place this past summer.  This board is filled with alumni who have a certain level of expertise and experience in the fields they are assigned to.  I also have recently worked on the Chapter’s transparency.  I recently created a Google drive where members can place important chapter documents in order for the brothers to be aware of every aspect of the chapter.  

Sigma ChiPhilanthropy: The Sigma Chi Fraternity’s main Philanthropy is the Huntsman Cancer Institute. Recently, the Huntsman Cancer Institute’s main research center has renamed the 6th floor of the facility the Sigma Chi International Fraternity Sixth Floor.  Colors: The fraternity colors are Blue and Old Gold.Biggest On-Campus Event: I would say our biggest event on campus has to be our Annual Derby Days week. Last year we raised more money then ever before raising almost $9,000.  

Hi! My name is Taylor and I am a Business Management major with a double minor in Marketing and Psychology. I'm originally from Brooklyn but then moved to East Meadow, NY, on Long Island. I am the President of the American Marketing Association on campus and I was an intern and then worked my way up to retail operations for the NY Islanders Hockey Club before their big move to Brooklyn. A fun fact about me would be that I used to run track and cross country throughout all of high school and I've completed a half marathon in approximately 1 hour and 42 minutes!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!