Meet Campus Superstar, Kayla Wallace: USGA Vice President and Panhellenic President!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Name: Kayla Wallace

Hometown: Ligonier, PA

Year: Senior

Major: Criminal Justice Forensic Psychology with a possible minor in Public Service

Her Campus: What do you do around campus?

Kayla Wallace: I am the Undergraduate Student Government Association (USGA) Senior Vice President. That means I am in charge of the House of Representatives and I take care of all the points for campus clubs. I am also the head of the Points Committee. I am the Panhellenic President, which is the governing body over the Panhellenic sororities on campus. I am also a  member of Delta Phi Epsilon sorority, and am their risk manager.

HC: How did you become so involved on campus?

KW: Well, it actually started in one of my classes. I guess I sparked an interest for a girl in my class, or she saw something in me, and she thought I should get more involved, so she suggested Greek life, and that’s kind of how I got started. I became a USGA representative for that organization, then I became a Senator. From there, I ran for President and then I received Vice President and then became Panhellenic President. So it all stemmed from some girl who saw potential in me. I just needed the little extra push to get involved.

HC: Do you have any advice for people looking to get involved on campus, just like you?

KW: I think that I was lucky in that fact that someone pulled that leadership out of me. I knew that I should be involved and should do something but I didn’t do anything about it and I probably could of gone through my whole four years not really doing anything but going to class. Instead someone found me and said, “you should do this” but that’s not always going to happen. So I guess if there is something you want to do or something you are interested in, then I suggest you do it because you only have four years here. I wasted two of mine not doing anything and I just wonder how much more I could of done had I got involved before then.

HC: Since you’re so involved now on campus, what do you think you are going to do once your graduate?

KW:  The Peace Corp has always been an option, but I am not sure yet. Everything is kind of up in the air which is a little bit scary. I do know that I want to work somewhere within Public Service like the Department of Children and Families. This summer I worked at the Integrated Refugee and Immigrant Services and I loved it there, that’s where I found out I really wanted to work somewhere in Public Service. I just always have been a people person and someone who likes to be within the public, so that’s what I want to do.

HC: What has been one of your favorite memories here at UNH?

KW:  I have a lot of favorite memories. I have always played rec sports since my freshman year, it’s the one thing that I have always done. It is a great stress reliever for me. I do a lot of important things like paperwork, discussions, meeting type things, and rec sports is my favorite time to let loose and be with my friends who I have played with for four years. I am proud to say that I haven’t lost them throughout the years with all the other things that I have become involved with. It has become my ongoing favorite memory.

HC: From being so involved, what one of your favorite activities you got to participate in?

KW:  I guess that I may be nerdy in the sense that I love the USGA Meetings, I always have ever since I was a house rep then I became a Senator and then obviously Senior Vice President. I go to all the meetings on Fridays and I think most people go because they have to, I find them interesting and exciting and I love the discussion and the debates and know what is going on throughout campus.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!