This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Dear Me,

Congratulations! You made it! You are about to embark on a journey like no other. Lets face it, you are freaked out of your mind… don’t lie to yourself. It is perfectly okay to be nervous, it is all part of the thrill of leaving home!

I am sorry to say the first month on campus will not be easy. You will probably feel lost and alone. You will constantly ask yourself why you moved so far away from home to a place where you know absolutely no one within a two hour radius of you, but that will not last long. You will also probably contemplate transferring about five times a day, but you will get over it.

With that being said, stay positive and stay open minded. This is your time to start new so do not ruin it by being miserable all the time. It is imperative that you embrace change and try new things. If something interests, you join a club! God knows the school has it. This is a great way to meet new people who could become some of your greatest friends.

The friends you had in high school will slowly fade, or in your case quickly since you are really bad at remembering to text back. It is nothing that you did, you all are just going out and growing into the people you were meant to be. That does not mean that you will never talk ever again; it means you will probably end up exchanging a single text back and forth every four months, either making plans to hang out on break or maybe once during school.

Being weird is perfectly okay. So is randomly walking into people’s room on the first day when they have the door open. It’s actually how you met your best friend, and you will have a great story to come from it. You will also find people who share mutual weirdness, which will result in some more crazy stories to add to the books.

GO GREEK. I know you think I am crazy telling you this, but trust me you’ll be glad you did. Soon you will see all the stereotypes you associated with sororities are not at all true. I mean, spoiler alert, they let you in so they all aren’t that bad. You will meet some pretty rad friends, you will suck a crafting, you will still fail at being a girl, but it’s a pretty chill time.

Naps are great. Snacks are good. Coffee keeps you alive.

Just relax and enjoy. The year will go by faster than you can even imagine.  

Sam Reposa

New Haven

Sophomore, Communication major at the University of New Haven.
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!