david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Guilt-Free Guide to Halloween Candy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Between the costumes, the haunted houses, and the movies, Halloween is surely the scariest time of the year. Beyond the convincing masks and decorations, it’s also a scary time if you’re trying to eat healthy – thanks to an endless assortment of temptations in bowls on co-workers’ desks, stuffed into grocery store shelves, and set out in buckets at holiday parties.

Eventually, you’re bound to give in—but which Halloween candies should you treat yo’self to? Instead of avoiding candy altogether, start off the spooky season by being smart about your food choices. Packaging and portion sizes are often deceiving (like that family-sized bag you could probably down in an hour), which is why I’ve compiled a list of eight of the best choices from classic Halloween favorites. You’ll be sure to pick the better-for-you option every time!

1. Peanut M&M’s Fun Size

Arguably the healthiest option, one fun-sized pouch contains 90 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 9 grams of sugar. It’s hard to stop at just one handful of these irresistible peanut-chocolate combos—that’s why the portion-control pouch (of about seven pieces) is an added advantage for weight-watching candy lovers.

2. YORK Peppermint Patties Snack Size

One patty packs 60 calories with 2 grams of fat and 11 grams of sugar. The light, refreshing mint and smooth dark chocolate makes this candy lower in calories and fat than heavier treats. They’re a good end to your candy fix because the strong minty flavor would ruin the taste of another piece of candy.

3. Tootsie Roll Midgees

Tootsie Rolls have a perfectly balanced combination of cocoa lined with a subtle, fruit-flavored undertone. One Tootsie Roll contains 23 calories, less than 1 gram of fat, and 3 grams of sugar. Try this old favorite that offers a chewy, chocolate fix in moderation.

4. Jolly Rancher Original Hard Candies

“Keep on sucking!” These fruity candies will keep your mouth busy for minutes, making you less likely to eat more than one. One Jolly Rancher has only 23 calories, 0 grams of fat, and 4 grams of sugar. The apple, blue raspberry, cherry, watermelon, and grape flavors will ward off any sweet tooth goblins.

5. Almond Joys Snack Size

Grab a few bites of mouth-watering milk chocolate, sweet coconut, and almonds at only 80 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 3 grams of sugar for one. Although this candy is nearly identical to its cousin Mounds as far as calorie, fat, and sugar are concerned, Almond Joys have a slight upper-hand because the almonds add an extra dose of fiber and unsaturated fat.

6. 3 Musketeers Minis

These fluffy bars are light enough to snack on a two with no guilt, clocking in at 49 calories, 1 gram of fat, and 8 grams of sugar. Instead of most chocolate bars that are stuffed with caramel or peanuts, 3 Musketeers have far fewer calories and fat because they have airy, gooey centers.

7. Nestlé Crunch Miniatures

One Nestlé Crunch bar has 50 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 6 grams of sugar, making it one of the lightest chocolate bars on the list. The crispies don’t pack on too many extra calories, and it makes these candies pack quite the satisfying “crunch.”

8. REESE’S Peanut Butter Cups Miniatures

This Halloween favorite has only 44 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 5 grams of sugar, containing protein from the peanut butter that balances out the sugar content and keeps you satisfied for longer. Your tummy will stay happy without tipping the scale when the annoying wrappers halt the binge!

Hello. I’m Becky! I’m a sophomore from Orange, Connecticut, studying General Psychology with minors in Sociology and Communication. Aside from writing for Her Campus, I’m a member of the Psychology Club and a volunteer for Love Your Melon. With my love for helping others, I hope to become either a counseling psychologist or an animal-assisted psychotherapist. In the meantime, you can find me crying over The Office, designing my future tiny house, looking at pictures of dogs, or daydreaming about volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park in Thailand.
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!