Five Ways to Sleigh the Holidays in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

1. Go all out with decorations

In our room, decorations go up the day after we come back from Thanksgiving break. We love to put on some music, hang out, and decorate the room together. Lights, window clings, and garland are all super cute and simple decorations to spread some festive cheer. If you love the holidays as much as us, you can even get a mini-tree (or six) to put up!

2. Share traditions 

Everyone celebrates the holidays differently, so it can be a lot of fun to experience the holidays with your roommates. Lots of new traditions can be formed, and old ones shared with new friends. Whether it’s sharing different cultural celebrations or just sharing different cookie recipes, the holidays are a great time for roomie bonding.

3. Get into the spirit with Christmas shows

Unfortunately, the holiday season comes with finals, a.k.a. the most stressful time of the year. One of the best ways to relax and de-stress is to grab a cup of hot cocoa, and put on a festive show. Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas has all the holiday movies you could want!

4. Put together a Secret Santa

The holidays are a good time to show your appreciation to all your friends, but college students generally don’t have the time or money to buy gifts for everyone. Putting together a Secret Santa ensures everyone gets a gift without spending too much money. Getting joke gifts can make the exchange even more fun!

5. Put together the perfect holiday playlist

The season wouldn’t be complete without the joy that is Christmas music. It’s impossible to be sad when blasting “All I Want for Christmas”, and Pentatonix’s newest album can lift anyone’s spirits!

December can be a stressful month, but don’t let finals turn you into a Grinch. Focus on the fun and love the holidays can bring, and have a (snow)ball!

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!