Don’t Hurt My Mami

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

For many, our mothers are our lifeline; their love is the true meaning of unconditional love. Throughout our triumphs and falls, they are there to celebrate or comfort us – no matter how old we may get. So when someone threatens or hurts Mama, best believe her babies will fight back. As did Estefania Calderon’s children…and over 3,000 petitioners.

At the beginning of the month Estefania Calderon, a mother of five was rushed to the University of Arizona hospital for emergency surgery. However, when her children tried to visit her they were stopped by hospital staff and told they weren’t allowed to see her because Border Patrol was waiting in Estefania’s room to deport her once she woke up – healed or not healed.

Understandably, her children fought back. Rudy Calderon, one of Estefania’s sons was advised by his cousin the Director of Center for Neighborhood Leadership in Phoenix, to petition for the removal of the Border Patrol agent. Rudy did just that, he set up the following page on the Mijente website – a website that posts petitions for POC (People of Color.)

Rudy asked for petitioners to call Tucson Border Patrol and say:

“I’m calling out of concern for Estefania Calderon who is currently at the University Medical Center. She is a mother of five and has lived in the U.S. for more than twenty years. Hospitals should be safe spaces for healing not to be used as a jail for the injured. Will you remove your agent and leave her alone?”

His family’s request was met in under 48 hours, with the help of over 3,000 individuals. Rudy immediately thanked supporters on Facebook and informed them that Estefania was granted a Humanitarian Visa to remain with her family until she becomes well enough to appear before a court. In two months she will go in front of an immigration court and face deportation hearings.

However, this incident demonstrates the power in unity. When we come together for a common good, we CAN create change.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!