sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie Couple: Thomas and Alessia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Meet Campus Cutie Couple Alessia and Thomas!

How did you meet? 

Alessia: Very few people know the details of how we really met, but to keep if short, we met on campus I’d say. That’s the first time we hung out and got to know each other. 

Thomas: I met her when I was downtown New Haven and we got to know each other and started hanging out all the time

Who initiated the first kiss? 

Alessia: He did! We had been talking for so long before we hung out alone and when we did, we were watching Netflix for like 5 hours and then he literally said “oh, did you want to kiss?” And then he kissed me. #TookYouLongEnough

Thomas: Me. I was just assertive and made my move and it went well! 

How long have you been dating? 

Alessia: Well, we started talking December 2014, but we’ve officially been dating for just about a year! 

Thomas: Almost a year this April!

What has been your most memorable date?

Alessia: This one time, we both got dressed up to go out to dinner or to walk around the city or something, but last minute we dropped the plans and went to the beach at like 10 at night and just sat in the lifeguards chair and watched the stars and talked for hours and we saw two shooting stars that night. So cheesy. It was the best night.  

Thomas: My birthday last year. We decorated an ice cream cake and we made buffalo chicken pizza and went hiking and it was great. 

What is your favorite thing about your significant other? 

Alessia: He’s my best friend. He always makes me laugh and always knows when something’s wrong and how to cheer me up and he loves surprising me. Also, I made him watch YouTube videos to learn how to braid my hair so now he makes killer French braids and that’s my favorite. 

Thomas: I love the fact that we spend a lot of time together and still we always have something to do and talk about. We always have fun and she has a great sense of humor. She’s my best friend. 

Who said “I love you” first?

Alessia: He did!!! He was just like “Aless? I’m in love with you” and I froze and I was blushing and I didn’t say anything for like two minutes cause I didn’t know he loved me! But, I loved him before he told me he loved me!

Thomas: I said it first. I asked her if she really liked me and she was shocked by my question and asked why I was asking that and I was like cause I love you. 

How do you resolve arguments? 

Alessia: We always communicate and we don’t hide anything from each other. I don’t think we really argue about real things. We don’t fight. It’s always because one of us is hungry. It’s even worse when we’re both hungry. 

Thomas: We always talk things through and we try not to get caught up in the heat of the moment. We’ve always been open with each other since we’ve met. 

Do you have any advice to give to new couples? 

Alessia: I would say to just be yourselves and realize that your significant other is or will be your best friend. Don’t let the bad things outweigh the good things. You’ll realize that the greatest things are the littlest things.

Thomas: It’s important to establish a friendship early on. Just take your time and be patient. 

What celebrity couple are your “goals?” 

Alessia: Jim and Pam, duh. Wait- do they count as celebrities? 

Thomas: Jim and Pam

Kaitlin Mahar is a member of the class of 2016 at the University of New Haven in pursuit of a B.S. in Communication with minor in Theater, and she hopes to have a career as an actress. While she doesn't particularly like piña coladas or getting caught in the rain, she's rather fond of Mountain Dew and 90° weather with plenty of sun and humidity.
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!