freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Cutie Couple: Michael and Kaitlin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Meet Campus Cutie Couple Kaitlin Mahar and Michael Quick!

How did you meet? 

MQ: Our mutual friend, Elissa Sanci, forced me to be in another student’s short film project that Kaitlin was already acting – or, should I say, “starring” – in.

KM: I mean, yeah, but technically, we were initially introduced when we both were going to a birthday dinner for mutual friends, although we almost met sooner because I was running late and whipped around the corner of a parking lot by Dunham Hall and almost hit a guy who turned out to be him… You can imagine how horrified I was when I later found out who he was and the fact that I almost ran him down. But then Elissa had us do a short film together for Cara Demers the next day, and that’s when we were really able to get to know each other.

Who initiated the first kiss? 

KM: He did, I was way too nervous.

MQ: Me, oops.

How long have you been dating? 

A little over a year.

What has been your most memorable date? 

KM: Probably either when we went to dinner at Claire’s Cornercopia (which may or may not have been our first date, there’s still some debate about that), or when we’d been together for six months and he came up to visit me in CT from NJ to see a show and he packed us a picnic to eat in the park by my house beforehand. It was incredibly sweet and thoughtful.

MQ: If I had to pick one, I think that when we went to Philly to see Panic! at the Disco with a bunch of our friends was my favorite. It was just awesome to see her so happy and laughing and having a good time. 

What is your favorite thing about your significant other? 

MQ: I love how Kaitlin is so incredibly intelligent, but not just in a book-learnéd sort of way; she has a wonderful emotional depth and listening to her express her thoughts and feelings on just about anything is fascinating. I feel like we could talk about anything and she’d have something interesting to say.

KM: That’s honestly really tough, but I’d have to say it’s his kindness. He’s incredibly intelligent, and it’s really great to have intellectual conversations with him, but he’s also so kind to me and to those around him, and that’s even better than intelligence, in my opinion.

Who said “I love you” first? 

MQ: I did because Kaitlin was upset that she accidentally spilled water on my computer. 

KM: Yup. I dumped water all over the computer he built himself, so you could say I was a little surprised.

How do you resolve arguments? 

MQ: Just talk it out honestly and patiently, as cliche as that sounds.

KM: Yeah, talk everything out. We both are real with each other and express our individual feelings and opinions while still being respectful of each other’s. We hardly ever argue, but communicating and not bottling it up is really important, or else it’ll just turn into an even bigger blow-up later.

Do you have any advice to give to new couples? 

KM: If you want him to say “I love you,” try destroying his stuff first. Kidding. I’d say to always remember that you’re a team.

MQ: Listen to one another and don’t hold back telling how you feel or saying something because you’re afraid of how they’ll take it (within reason, obviously).

What celebrity couple are your “goals?” 

MQ: I don’t really know any celebrity couples, at least none that I’d like to emulate. Can I say Leslie and Ben from Parks and Recreation? They’re not real though lolerr

KM: Oh geez. I don’t know that I even want to say, because every time I look at a celebrity couple and go “Oh, they’re so cute,” they split up the next day haha but maybe Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith? They just really seem to respect each other, and I think that’s just as important as loving your significant other. Plus, they obviously have a lot of fun together, and I think that’s really important too.

Alessia is a sophomore English major at UNH. She is a staff writer and copy editor for her school newspaper, The Charger Bulletin. Alessia also has a column called The Charger Poll, where she takes polls on Twitter and writes about them in the paper! She is also a lover of coffee, words, hair, and makeup. And the Oxford comma. You can participate in Alessia's polls by following @ChargerPoll on Twitter!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!