This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Lately, I’ve been super into skin care and have been on the lookout for a hydrating face mask. Unfortunately, the money I’ve spent on expensive face masks ends up going down the drain and being a complete waste! I get nothing but blotchy, red, dry skin. My skin is super sensitive and prone to random breakouts, so I prefer to know the contents of what I’m slathering all over my face.

So, I started playing around with natural ingredients to get the perfect face mask. I just wanted something simple and hydrating that would make my skin glow and feel clean before I go to sleep. Everything I read online says you need all kinds of oils and butters, but I found the perfect formula. If you want glowing, hydrated, smooth skin, I advise that you keep reading. This is the cheapest and easiest mask that I’ve ever done – and the best part is, you probably have all of these items in your possession right now!

Let’s get your skin glowing:

1. Start by putting a spoon in the freezer. This will make applying the mask feel extremely refreshing and hydrating, especially for dry, irritated skin. 

2. Now, grab Tupperware (so you can store in the fridge easily) and mix about a quarter cup of plain Greek yogurt with about two tablespoons of honey.

3. Begin mixing the two together. Once they are mixed, add a dash (or two) of cinnamon or nutmeg. You may notice that your mixture is becoming a liquid, but don’t worry, we will handle it.

4. Once your ingredients are mixed, put it in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes, just so that it solidifies and becomes a little thicker.

5. Now, tie your hair back and get ready to get messy. Grab your spoon from the freezer, and begin scooping small amounts of the mixture on your (prewashed) face. As you apply it to your face, use the backside of the spoon to smooth it around your face. You will begin feeling the stinging feeling of the spices, which means it is tightening your skin.

6. Once applied, let it sit for 10 minutes before you wash it all off.

7. Voila! Once you’re all cleaned up, your cheeks will feel perfectly smooth. 

I recommend following the above measurements and storing it in the fridge for the week. One tablespoon of yogurt will give you one face mask, so you will have some to spare! Apply the mask 2-3 times a week before bed and you will have noticeably smoother skin.

Remember to follow my beauty account on Instagram for more beauty tips! 

Alessia is a sophomore English major at UNH. She is a staff writer and copy editor for her school newspaper, The Charger Bulletin. Alessia also has a column called The Charger Poll, where she takes polls on Twitter and writes about them in the paper! She is also a lover of coffee, words, hair, and makeup. And the Oxford comma. You can participate in Alessia's polls by following @ChargerPoll on Twitter!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!