This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

This April, I experimented with some new and affordable beauty products. As a college student, it is so hard to buy the beauty cosmetics that I really want when I’m trying to save my money. So, I went to Target and found amazing cosmetics that have become part of my everyday beauty routine! Here are my April favorites: 

1. Maybelline Dream Pure BB Cream: Oh my gosh. This has acted as my new base foundation – forever. I am completely obsessed with it. It’s a BB Cream, so it comes in Light/Medium, or Medium/Dark. I get Light/Medium, and it adjusts so nicely to my skin tone. During this time of year, my skin get extremely dry, and I get red spots all over. This was life changing. Bye-bye red spots. It’s hydrating and so light – it feels like I’m wearing zero makeup. It’s pretty much a tinted sheer layer, but covers all blemishes and tones your skin. Something else that I found out AFTER I purchased this – it reduces acne! It acts as an acne treatment, which is an absolute plus. This BB Cream gives a dewy look, so if you’re someone who prefers the matte look, like I do sometimes, then mix this with a little bit of your everyday foundation. A great alternative to higher end matte foundation is Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Mousse Foundation. It’s only $5! A word of advice, it can be very heavy and thick, so try to use a drop to avoid a caked on look. 

2. L’Oreal EverPure Blonde Brass Banisher Conditioner: Being blonde is so hard. Seriously. It takes constant TLC. That’s why I use this. It’s only $7 (at most), and it makes my hair feel so soft and revitalized. Plus, the smell is absolutely amazing. It’s like a sweet mint and is even potent after putting heat on my hair! I absolutely recommend this to any blondes out there. It’s said that this conditioner also lightens your hair two shades. There is also a corresponding shampoo, but only the conditioner smells minty and makes my hair super soft! I bought the shampoo the first time with the conditioner, but after that, I use any standard shampoo, but the conditioner is an absolute must!

3. Lush Bubble Gum Lip Scrub: If you’re in need of a lip scrub that smells and tastes yummy and exfoliates, look no further. I’m obsessed with this! It’s a sugar based scrub and it’s edible (and vegan). You simple rub a little bit on your lips, and then you lick off the excess! It also comes in popcorn, as well as a minty flavor, but I recommend the bubble gum! It’s $9.95 at Lush! 

4. e.l.f. Stipple Brush: This was a whopping $3, so I thought that it would be cheap quality, but it is actually amazing quality! I have my doubts about e.l.f., but this proved me wrong! I even purchased two of these bad boys – one for highlighting, and one for contouring! You can also use these to apply face makeup, but I prefer a Beauty Blender for all that. This brush is also super easy to handle and wash!

5. Beauty Blender: Speaking of the Beauty Blender, every girl needs this. This was such an impulse buy for me, but I am so happy I did it. I must say, I did not believe in the beauty blender until I had my own. I just thought that it was too ridiculous to spend $20 on a makeup sponge, but this is more than that. It’s so soft and carries foundation so well. Also, don’t go crazy and buy the cleanser for this. I just use dish soap and it looks like I just bought it! This is 100% worth the money. I’ve used the CVS brand “dupe” makeup sponges – they are NOT dupes. They just kind of smear around your makeup instead of blending it.

Get shopping, collegiettes!!

Alessia is a sophomore English major at UNH. She is a staff writer and copy editor for her school newspaper, The Charger Bulletin. Alessia also has a column called The Charger Poll, where she takes polls on Twitter and writes about them in the paper! She is also a lover of coffee, words, hair, and makeup. And the Oxford comma. You can participate in Alessia's polls by following @ChargerPoll on Twitter!
Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!