This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Hola! Ciao! Bonjour! Hallo!

Need a break from reality, but can’t afford the trip? Dive into these international films; with a wide range of languages and genres, you will not be disappointed!  Don’t be put off by subtitles, the quality and plots of these movies will leave you wanting more, and with a greater appreciation of international cinema.

P.S. They’re all on Netflix!

10. LOL (French): In this French Romantic Comedy, Lola goes through the highs and lows of falling in love…with her best friend. The movie was actually remade in the United States, with Miley Cyrus as the lead!  

9. Run Boy Run (German): This German Drama is the true story of Yoram Israel Fridman, a Jewish survivor of WWII. At the young age of 8, Yoram was left an orphan by the war and was forced to fend for himself without a home or a companion. Run Boy Run chronicles his many hardships and showcases Yoram’s strength and bravery in a beautiful and inspiring manner.

8. Heropanti (Indian): A film that introduces you to the world of Bollywood in the form of comedy, romance, and action! A hero goes on a quest to find the girl of his dreams, all while being held hostage by her over-protective father and his crew – super casual. Don’t be discouraged by the choreographed dances and songs though, give it a try and it can grow on you!

Fun fact: Bollywood is actually one of the largest centers of film production on the planet!

7. Dum Laga Ke Haisha (Indian): Another Indian Romantic Comedy! Although, the “love-birds” aren’t so in love with each other…they don’t even like each other! In this film, a dropout is forced into an arranged marriage with an educated woman he finds unattractive. Struggling to connect, they decide to enter in a husband-and-wife-only contest, but will that be enough to help these two build a relationship.

6. Mustang (Turkish): Ah, to be young, beautiful, and wild. These terms are perfect descriptions of the five sisters in Mustang, hence the title. Viewed as provocative by their community and their own family members, they are hit with strict rules and little freedom. However, each sister deals with the stress of becoming “tamed” in a different way.

5. Little England (Greek): Basically, a man and woman fall in love, but her sister ends up marrying said woman’s boo thang. What could possibly go wrong?

4. Cinema Paradiso (Italian): Woken up in the middle of the night by a phone call, Salvatore finds out his childhood mentor has passed; the mentor who introduced him to the world of film, served the role of a father, witnessed his journey of falling in love, and helped Salvatore find his place in life. Cinema Paradiso will leave you laughing, crying, and all warm and fuzzy inside all in a matter of two hours.

3. Amelie (French): Amelie is a quirky and innocent woman who find happiness in helping others find love, but she isn’t able to apply her skills when she herself falls in love with a stranger. Amelie has gained worldwide recognition, and it’s DEFINITELY a refreshing break from the romantic comedies with the perfect girl and the perfect boy, whose relationship is nothing but predictable. Watch the awkward girl try and not so smoothly get the boy of her dreams – who also happens to collect photos of random strangers and works at an erotica store. Promise it’s worthwhile!

2. Twice Born (Spanish): Starring Penelope Cruz, Twice Born is truly one of a kind. A mother brings her son to visit Bosnia, the site of where his father died. Whilst there, she is forced to confront her past and those who witnessed her growth and eventful relationship with the love of her life. Do not expect anything when it comes to this movie, you will be left in awe by this beautiful masterpiece.

1.Palm Trees in the Snow (Spanish): Love knows no time. Based off the book, Palm Trees in the Snow, a young woman learns of her uncle Kilian’s romantic journey while assisting in the management of a cocoa farm in the island of Bioko in the 1950’s. This is also no ordinary romance; Kilian was a victim of forbidden love but it wasn’t enough to keep him from pursuing his love. However, as expected, the consequences of his relationship follow him even after his death.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!