Amy Schumer Speaks Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at New Haven chapter.

Social media completely lost control this week when Amy Schumer expressed outrage at Glamour Magazine.  The popular fashion magazine recently dedicated an issue for plus sized readers.  The issue, which targeted at readers that are sizes 12 and up, features Schumer’s name on the cover.

Glamour saw backlash after Schumer decided to point this out on her Instagram, stating that her size falls between a 6 and an 8.  The comedian shared that plus size in America is a size 16, and that she did not feel right about being mentioned in the issue without consultation.

Schumer posted, “Young girls seeing my body type and thinking that is plus size?  What are your thoughts? Mine are not cool glamour not glamorous.”

Shortly after, Twitter and Instagram overflowed with angry fans speaking out against Glamour’s decision to include her. 

Cindi Lieve, Glamours editor-in-chief, took to twitter to comment:

With Glamour Magazine now having their side of the story out, too, it’s possible that the whole situation could have just been a big misunderstanding.

Hi! My name is Caitlin Duncan. I'm from Enfield, CT, and a senior at University of New Haven. I am the Co-Founder and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus New Haven. I am also a Founding Member of Alpha Sigma Alpha's Theta Omega chapter. In my free time, I can be found singing Taylor Swift, reading, or cuddling with my dogs, Paisley and Mandy. Feel free to contact me at caitduncan@hercampus.com! HCXO!